Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess I need a boat.

Default I guess I need a boat.

I spent all spring and summer (until about 3-4 weeks ago) wading the Holston way down river and had a lot of luck. Now the water temps are over 70 down there and the trout moved upstream. The main reason I fished where I did all year is that was only place close enough to me with wade able water. Now it's just the Clinch, only on Sat and Sun, and only at the lower most access. My least favorite access point on the Clinch. But, only place and time I can wade due to TVA schedules. Looking at the operating guide on their site it might be like this for a few more months while they drop the lakes. There are a very few special event days left with water off until 1:00 where wading will be possible upriver, I like those days. Just wish the recreation schedule, every weekend from May through September, wasn't just for boats. Ok, rant over.

A boat will help you access other areas; but, you will still have to deal with the schedules. The tailwaters have become very unpredictable in their flows over the past decade and it is a guessing game if it will be a good or bad year for fishing. It seems like it relates back to TVA maintaining higher winter pools for lake dock owners. It seems bad business to waste so much water sluicing daily during high electricity demands.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Yeah I was wondering why they're sluicing so much instead of opting for 2 gens. Maybe they're not so greedy after all? 🤔

The sluicing is a result of a generator being offline. The flows are required by law. They must have a minimum amount of water flow recorded at Chicamauga and to get that they're forced to sluice out of Norris.

None of it concerns the dock dock owners on Norris.

be thankful we have recreation schedules, because before that it would run 24/7 this time of year

Canoe? Kayak? ..... Been looking around online and think maybe a canoe or sit on top kayak might work. Pretty sure I just want to be able to jump from wading spot to wading spot between access areas. I almost always go by myself so anything bigger is unmanageable. I used to float the Hiwassee and the Clinch with a friend's inflateable one man catamaran. It was kind of slow but stable to fish out of. I never really got used to fishing sitting down, or maneuvering into position to get good drifts on good spots then getting rod ready to cast in time. Things just moved too fast and wasn't as enjoyable as wading an area and taking my time to fish each section.
    So wondering if I could fish one generator flows enjoyably in a canoe/kayak or if it would just give me much better access on recreation schedules?
    The next problem is figuring out a shuttle to get boat in one access and out another.....boats are just an added complication and added expense but maybe that's only way to fish year round.
    I was gone from this area for last 10 years, I remember being frustrated by TVA schedules back then but didn't seem like 5 or 6 months in a row where they ran generators all day. I used to go to the mountains when they ran water at Clinch but I was younger then and I prefer the tailwater fly fishing experience these days

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    The sluicing is a result of a generator being offline. The flows are required by law. They must have a minimum amount of water flow recorded at Chicamauga and to get that they're forced to sluice out of Norris.

None of it concerns the dock dock owners on Norris.

be thankful we have recreation schedules, because before that it would run 24/7 this time of year
    I assumed they had a generator down or maintenance or something of that sort. I figured you'd have an answer concerning the sluice instead of 2 gens. Lol

But Yeah if we didn't have Rec schedules we'd be screwed to say the least.

It would be nice if they changed the recreation schedule to allow for Wade fishermen one day and boaters the other day of the weekend. Maybe keep water off until 3:00 at least one day. Turning it back on at 10:00 concentrates every Wade angler in area to one access point. I'm sure the boaters had to lobby somehow to get TVA to cooperate with their rec schedule, I'd like to lobby on behalf of wading users of TVA tailwaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneflylama72 View Post
    It would be nice if they changed the recreation schedule to allow for Wade fishermen one day and boaters the other day of the weekend. Maybe keep water off until 3:00 at least one day. Turning it back on at 10:00 concentrates every Wade angler in area to one access point. I'm sure the boaters had to lobby somehow to get TVA to cooperate with their rec schedule, I'd like to lobby on behalf of wading users of TVA tailwaters.
    The rec schedule as is allows wading until about 3 at the jail. It's a well done and formulated schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneflylama72 View Post
    Canoe? Kayak? ..... Been looking around online and think maybe a canoe or sit on top kayak might work. Pretty sure I just want to be able to jump from wading spot to wading spot between access areas. I almost always go by myself so anything bigger is unmanageable. I used to float the Hiwassee and the Clinch with a friend's inflateable one man catamaran. It was kind of slow but stable to fish out of. I never really got used to fishing sitting down, or maneuvering into position to get good drifts on good spots then getting rod ready to cast in time. Things just moved too fast and wasn't as enjoyable as wading an area and taking my time to fish each section.
    So wondering if I could fish one generator flows enjoyably in a canoe/kayak or if it would just give me much better access on recreation schedules?
    The next problem is figuring out a shuttle to get boat in one access and out another.....boats are just an added complication and added expense but maybe that's only way to fish year round.
    I was gone from this area for last 10 years, I remember being frustrated by TVA schedules back then but didn't seem like 5 or 6 months in a row where they ran generators all day. I used to go to the mountains when they ran water at Clinch but I was younger then and I prefer the tailwater fly fishing experience these days
    I would be wary of a canoe or kayak if you are a large person; well, over 6' and 200lbs or more...I have found they tend to be top heavy due to a reduced ability to be buoyant. Configured with the right weight; they are very manageable with one person and my buddy Jeremy can row circles around me. Try to plan out your total weight with gear when selecting a boat and leave a safe margin. Also; bungee or tie everything to the boat. Do not worry about floating from one place to another. Thank about going and coming back. Also; there is a significant gain in low flow time when you are farther down stream to extend your fishing day.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I'd fish the same area on the Holston, but instead of throwing pheasant tails and caddis flies; use poppers and streamers.
    My posts are worthless without pictures