Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I guess I need a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    The rec schedule as is allows wading until about 3 at the jail. It's a well done and formulated schedule
    That's where I have been going lately. Problem is everybody that wades is confined to that single access area. It's a pretty big river with four good Wade access areas but only one has been useable this year. Maybe I'm just complaining because I prefer the upper river. The rec schedule does work great if you have a drift boat but not so good if you Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

I would be wary of a canoe or kayak if you are a large person; well, over 6' and 200lbs or more...I have found they tend to be top heavy due to a reduced ability to be buoyant. Configured with the right weight; they are very manageable with one person and my buddy Jeremy can row circles around me. Try to plan out your total weight with gear when selecting a boat and leave a safe margin. Also; bungee or tie everything to the boat. Do not worry about floating from one place to another. Thank about going and coming back. Also; there is a significant gain in low flow time when you are farther down stream to extend your fishing day.
    Thanks for the insight. I was wondering about paddling upsteam to a spot than floating back to same access. Also I'm 6'2" and 250lbs so a stable platform is definitely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    I'd fish the same area on the Holston, but instead of throwing pheasant tails and caddis flies; use poppers and streamers.
    I tried that one time this year right after water got to 70 degrees. But I just caught 2 trout ( not big ones ) ang no smallmouth. I have caught 2 smallies there this year but they hit my big dry fly/ indicator fly when I was still trout fishing. My friend went with me one day with spinning gear and caught 4 smallmouth on a rooster tail. I might have to try again now that the water has warmed up even more, the River smallies sure are fun on a fly rod.

Pretty sure Holston tailwater is over 70 degrees anywhere you go. I heard there is not any water anywhere at any depth in lower end of of the Cherokee lake below 70 so it is not going to be cooler in the tailwater than what is in the lake. Those temps likely means every trout caught will die. The trout simply cannot recover from stress in those temps.

Personally I would urge everyone to leave the trout in the Holston alone right now as the fish killed now are likely some of the bruisers of the future. With clinch and south Holston fishing well there are good options options in those cold water tailwaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    Pretty sure Holston tailwater is over 70 degrees anywhere you go. I heard there is not any water anywhere at any depth in lower end of of the Cherokee lake below 70 so it is not going to be cooler in the tailwater than what is in the lake. Those temps likely means every trout caught will die. The trout simply cannot recover from stress in those temps.

Personally I would urge everyone to leave the trout in the Holston alone right now as the fish killed now are likely some of the bruisers of the future. With clinch and south Holston fishing well there are good options options in those cold water tailwaters.
    You are right about the Holston temps and trout. I think Buzz was suggesting poppers and streamers for smallmouth bass at the lower access areas that once held trout. When I tried the streamers and poppers there myself, the water was just reaching 70 degrees and I was trying to catch smallmouth since my friend had caught some there. I had been seeing smallies there when the water was still well below 70 but still couldn't catch any while intentionally fishing for them. The water at Nances Ferry has been over 70 for several weeks now. I hope not many people still fish for trout on the Holston because you are right , without the trout in there right now, it's just cookie cutter stockers next year.
    Last edited by Stoneflylama72; 08-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.

The downside to this years generation schedules on the Clinch ( for me as a wading only fisherman) have been access to only the Farthest downstream access point. Only on Sat and Sun, and only from 9:30am -3:00pm . The upside has been being forced to learn a new area of the river and new techniques. I was hating it the first few times this year (fished the Holston all spring until water got too warm) at the Church/jail access on the Clinch. However since it has been the only game in town since July I fished it anyway. Thanks to the help and advice of a couple other anglers and time to explore that area of River, I finally started catching fish. The technique that has been working is one I never tried long enough on any River to actually believe it might work. The flies used are much more like what I was using on the Holston than any I ever used on the Clinch. I think being forced to fish where I have this summer has made me a better fisherman as I now have confidence in a completely different style that I can carry with me to other waters. ( plus it's been catching a lot of trout on a very highly pressured section of the Clinch) I don't want to advertise exactly what's been working publicly out of respect for the fine fisherman who shared it with me on the river. However I share it freely to anyone who asks privately here or on the river.