Thread: Acadia National Park, Maine?

Default Acadia National Park, Maine?

In a couple of weeks I will be visiting Acadia National Park in Maine, and would like to do a little fishing while I'm there. Looks like Maine closes their rivers and streams to fishing on October 1, but the lakes/ponds in the park will still be open. Some of them are stocked with trout, but I found another site that claims there are smallmouth bass and chain pickerel in Hodgdon Pond and Seal Cove Pond. Since I've never caught a chain pickerel, I think I might try for one of those.

Has anyone here ever targeted pickerel on the fly? Any tips/tricks/hints you would care to share? What flies/leader/tippet would you recommend? Would they still be hitting topwater bugs in early October? Should I use my 6wt that I normally use for smallies, or would I be better off throwing my new 8wt Mangrove I bought for fishing saltwater flats for redfish?

Any and all info/intel/anecdotes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

I have no advice on pickerel. I caught a small one once (8 to 10 inches) on a wooly bugger and he tore my fingers up getting the fly out. I took my first trip to Maine and Acadia this summer. It is a fishing paradise. Look forward to your report when you get back.

Stana,
    I have never seen or caught a pickerel, I have seen Kellie Pickler but I think my chances of catching her are slimmer than hoisting a pickerel!
    I cannot believe you would rather go fishing in Maine rather than our camp-out at Cataloochee and the joy of spitting, scratching and telling lies by the campfire. As you know Ernie can guarantee you snow, rain, sun and sleet anytime we camp, all the the things you will find in Maine with fewer driving hours. Good Luck and have fun!

P.S. Can you go ahead cook and freeze us some food to take with us? We will miss your cooking ....oh and you too of course!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

No worries, John! I wouldn't miss the Cataloochee trip for anything short of a natural disaster! We are scheduled to end our two week road trip with the TU campout weekend. Sadly, that means I won't have my full complement of cooking equipment and secret herbs and spices (unless I find a way to replenish my stores on the way back), but should still be able whip up something tasty for the enjoyment of all. I've even invited my son to come join us there since he hasn't been fishing in a while and really enjoys fishing that side of the park. So we'll see you there, hopefully with some good stories to share.
    Last edited by Stana Claus; 09-21-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

Stana,

No recent advise on the pickerel but I use to catch them up on Lake Michigan back when I was a teenage boy, fishing with my uncle. A sizeable one can really put up fight as I recall and if I remember correctly we used spoons and Mepps spinners besides cut bait. Big streamers may work on the fly with your number 8 wt.

Pickerel are related to northern pike and musky but are not all that revered on the East coast. They do put up a good fight and watch out when you have to deal with dislodging a hook. Better wear some heavy leather gloves.

I was putting a northern on a stringer one time up on Lake of the Woods, Kenora, Ontario and had my hand too close to the waterline of the boat. One of those suckers popped up out of the deep and sunk his teeth (both upper and lower jaws) into my exposed hand. Oo-o-o-o-owch-ch-ch! Maybe he thought my fingers looked like big worms or something. The slime on my hands from the other fish hurt like hek for a couple of hours, but no permanent damage. I never did that again.
    Whitefeather

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

Hi, all. Made it back from my trip, and all I can say is Acadia NP is every bit as awesome as I expected it to be! We were a little early for the full fall colors, but that rugged coastline and other scenery more than made up for the lack of color.

I did manage to squeeze in a couple of hours of fishing while I was there and was successful in my quest for some chain pickerel (sorry, no pics, but more about that shortly). I can safely say that chain pickerel on the fly certainly lived up to (or possibly exceeded) my expectations as well. I ended up using my 6wt bass rod and a some top-water bass bugs which proved quite effective.

While making our initial exploration of the park I checked out the various fishing spots I was interested in and found a couple of workable looking access points for later in the trip. Ended up parking on the fire road that passes between Hodgden Pond and Seal Cove Pond and we were able to access both ponds from there. While my girlfriend setup at the head of the stream running from Hodgden over to Seal Cove, and my buddy who met us up there hiked over to Seal Cove, I worked my way out to the far edge of the massive weed bed at the southern end of Hodgden. That was an interesting experience in itself. There was about 100 yards of matted marsh grass that I had to navigate to get to some fishable water and, while it was thick enough to support me walking on it carefully, with every step an area several feet across compressed like a giant sponge. That took some getting used to!

Once I reached the edge of the weeds I tied on a chartreuse stealth bomber and began the hunt. After slowly working my way up the edge of the weed bed I finally found what I was looking for. There was a bulge under the surface of the water that began about three feet away from my fly and headed straight for it like a torpedo! Sadly, the take was so aggressive that nerves got the better of me and I struck too soon, jerking the hook right out of his mouth. On the 2nd fish, I relaxed and waited a moment before setting the hook, but waited too long and missed that one too. But the 3rd time was the charm, and I had a fish on! After a short but fierce battle, this one managed to burrow into the weeds and break himself off. Man, what a fighter!

Once I calmed back down again, I re-rigged and resumed the hunt. I tied on a wiggle minnow, and the next assault came from the side. When I set the hook this time, because of the angle and the sharp teeth, he cut my 0X 16-lb test leader clean off like it was nothing! This was starting to get frustrating! I tied on another stealth bomber and after another couple of misses and a long-distance release, I finally got one brought to hand. It was easily an 18"-20" inch fish but, sadly, as I reached for my camera he gave another hard flop, cut the leader, and fell back into the water. So I didn't get a picture, but I certainly got a memory that will stay with me for a long, long time!