Thread: Restoration of a creek and myself

Talking Restoration of a creek and myself

Thursday was my first trip to the Smokies in I don't know how long. My next door neighbor said he would be happy to watch my boys from when the school bus came till Mom got home, and I was able to volunteer with the Fisheries Dept. on the Anthony Creek restoration. While I helped a little with the effort to remove rainbows last year, I was out of touch with what was going on, and only had the volunteer schedule that came out early in the year as to speculate what was really happening. Well we weren't stocking Brookies, and at the end of the day when your working with Mother Nature, she ultimately makes the final schedule. Back in July they found a short section of the creek that had a mating pair of Rainbows, and a bunch of resulting Young of year. I'm sure they grabbed all they saw, but getting every young of year is a real challenge and the shockers and humans can't ever get 100%. That's why you do a series of shocking, and eventually get all the sexually mature ones, which eventually allows you to rid the stream of Rainbows. Some rock ledges go back for 3-4 sometimes 8+ feet, and there are debree fields formed by high water that make perfect hiding places. So the job required the day before and today was to cover that section of stream and get rid of any of those surviving pesky rainbows. Luckily not too far above the this section was a waterfall that looked just like Peg Leg Falls on Road Prong that washed out several years back and served as another barrier so upstream was fine.

While I did bring my camera, I only shot a few quick shots as watching for fish was much more important.

This was the first rainbow young of year we found. Tiny one in net on left and you can see debree field where he was trying to hide

They only found 1 the previous day, so we were at a good start. I'm always impressed by the seasonal fisheries workers. Hardworking, dedicated, and just plain good at their job. Working all Summer shocking, made their skill level rise to such a high level, that I never even had a chance to see any fish, as nothing made it by them. While I feel somewhat competent at doing this and typically the last few years see enough myself to gain a little cred, these guys are pros and are great to watch. To put it into fishing terms.... They never miss the hook set.

Then we pulled out this beast.

No catch and release for him!

And where he was hiding! The ledge on left goes back behind picture and in undercut 3-4 feet. A great hiding place, but not good enough!

A typical scene on this pretty little creek

Chris on a bigger pool

Another pesky Rainbow. I was surprised they called this one a young of year. Normally the fish don't grow that fast, but with only a half dozen fish, and no competition, it's all you can eat buffet time on Anthony Creek.

Well we found 5 rainbows, and while the restoration might have been delayed a little, it's gonna be great!

Only downside to the day was that we finished up around 1 PM, and I hadn't brought any fishing gear with me.

Time to scheme up a plan. I remember running into Pat Tully a while back and he was demoing the Orvis Glass rod. So off I ran to LRO!

Got there and said hello to Rob Fightmaster and some of the LRO gang! A prime example of the top notch guides we have here in the Smokies. While I am speculating somewhat as I didn't ask him, he had finished a half day guiding, and well after that time was up, was still working with his client to buy some wading boots. A genuine nice guy that just as competent teaching a complete newby or a master angler.

Enough of that, time to run upstairs and find Daniel working in his cubicle. After a quick explanation a some chatting he said, you want to try the fiberglass, or maybe a Tenkara?

I don't know how many dozen of people have tried to convince me to try this for years, but today was finally my day!

I bought a pack of tippet, 3 flies, pair of nippers and I was ready to go

So off to a close stream to give it a try. I hit a mostly overlooked section of river.

I took 5 minutes to get the handle on this rig, and it was fun. While I have fished before with a cane rod in a similar fashion this was so much lighter your arm wasn't so fatigued. I loved the 12 feet of rod length, but wish my leader was 3 feet shorter.

It wasn't a pool or two before I caught my first Tenkara fish

Will continue
    Last edited by duckypaddler; 10-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Best fish of the day

Bad shot of the rod. Where's David Knapp when you need him

More typical catch

After an hour and a half of fishing, I hiked up to a popular Brookie destination. Not sure if they just weren't biting, or it had already been fished a half dozen times today, but no Brookies would come out to play. Only one bump from a baby so after 20 minutes I headed back to return the Tenkara.

Great way to end the day!

Thanks Daniel and LRO! Customer service at it's best!
    Last edited by duckypaddler; 10-03-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Thanks for the post and leg work, i was on that crew in 06, we were always happy to have help hahaha. I can't see the pics for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    I can't see the pics for some reason
    Got to be the Russians
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Smile

Is Photobucket backed by the Russians, cause they are truly evil killing all 3rd part hosting.

Tried Google free image hosting doing 3 different things, then finally joined Imgur to get them uploaded.

Man making a post is work these days. Hopefully its all fixed now
    www.foamiefriends.com

I can see them now

I used my influence as a former embassy attache to allow them to be viewed.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali