Thread: Fishing Access in Townsend?

Default Fishing Access in Townsend?

Now that I am a full time resident of Townsend, I would like to take advantage of some of the hatchery planted trout in the Little River. I do fish the park also for the wild trout there, but for a change of pace, I would like to fish in town some. The problem is that all of land I have looked at so far is privately owned. There are some good looking spots but no owners are around in which to ask permission. I don't want to get caught trespassing. I talked to one of the tuber company guys I saw at the bank today and he said that they will not allow fishermen to use their access points even now when tubing season is over because of insurance and liability. That's all well and good, but why does the state stock fish in the Little River when no one can get to them anyway? I have been able to find spots at various rest areas west of Townsend, but all I have caught there is rock bass and small mouth bass, which is great, but I would like to catch some trout also. Please let me know if any of you know of any places in Townsend where I can get to the river. It would be much appreciated.
    Joe

Just an FYI.

I hope you are reading Byron's daily blog. It appears that river access, tubers, etc. is getting ready to heat up in Townsend. There are soon to be some public hearings on the tubing especially, but I hazard a guess river access is also going to be discussed.

This is not a direct answer to your question, but it will most certainly affect you.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/li...5598416c1.html
    Last edited by JayR; 10-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.

it sucks because everywhere I used to park and get into the water, people give you crap now. I know they own the river bed but it would be nice to have a spot to fish! Catholic Church used to let you park there but I never caught anything at that spot

JayR, thanks for the headsup. I plan on attending a meeting Monday night where the town council will be discussing the problems created by the tubers and some possible solutions. Hopefully, something will come up about fishing access.

elkhaircaddis, I am aware of the Catholic Church and have been told that it is OK to park there as long as church services are not going on. I have not fished there, but it looks like a great spot and I understand that trout are planted at the bridge on Webb Road which is right near the church. I will give it a try.

Thanks guys for your responses.
    Joe
    Last edited by xvigauge; 10-15-2017 at 03:46 PM.

I must say I think it is a waste for the state to stock that river. Basically unless you own land or are paying to camp there are only 3 access points. Its a waste of money. I would rather see the state stock the greenbelt pond in front of the Maryville library. At least it is all public and can be enjoyed by all.

Folks are probably (and rightfully) reluctant to share access spots on the web. I'd suggest a visit to your local Townsend fly shop (!). I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.