Thread: Nymphing rod

Default Nymphing rod

After learning some proper high stick nymphing techniques I was wondering what rods and lengths you guys/gals are using in the smokies. I know I will have to test cast and compare but that would not give me try feel of the sensitivity of fishing with the rod . Just looking for a starting point . Oh and to stir up some good old fashion debate on why your rod is the correct tool for the job Dan Krug , bye the way , is there any way to change my member name on this forum
    Last edited by surfdog; 10-26-2017 at 03:28 PM.

As a reference to where I'm coming from, all I did was high stick for my first 10 years of fly fishing. It was all I was taught and all I knew. I started out (many years ago) using a 7 ft rod. I remember "moving up" to a 9 ft and was heckled for the absurdity of it. It took a little adaptation. Now, I prefer an 8 1/2 to 9 foot 4 weight. I use weighted nymphs typically from a #6 to #14. I simply like the reach on the longer rods. During tight fishing conditions, I resort to the "bow and arrow" cast to get the fly into the tight spots. However for the roll casts and side armed casts, I do prefer a 9' 4 wt in the Smokies. I can also use the same rod for dries and streamers and contrary to belief of some "experts" in the local shops (not LRO) trophy trout can be caught on a 4 wt in the Smokies. My preferred rod is a G Loomis GL3.

As far as the correct tool for the job.... if I saw somebody effectively use a "pocket fisherman" to both cast to and land trout. THAT'S the correct tool for them. To Each Their Own.

Jim Parks

I have using a Syndicate 10 ft. 3 wt. After doing considerable research on nymphing rods by reading reviews, blogs, practice casting a few, and talking with others, the Syndicate seemed a good choice. First, it is a local (Knoxville) company. Second, the reviews indicated it performed as good or better than much more expensive rods. Third, the pice was very reasonable ($299.00). They also make a 10 ft. 2 weight and 11 ft 2 and 3 weights. I have used it both in the park and on the Clinch. Being a competition style rod it has a delicate tip but a strong butt. I had no problems with landing a few 16 and 17 inch browns on the Clinch. After trying several different lines on it, I liked a 4 weight Rio Perception best. It dropped cast well, but also had no problems with 50-60 ft casts on the Clinch. I used a 1.5 Lamson reel. I tried it with a Redington Zero reel with a 3 weight line, but it was too light for the rod. If I was buying again, I might go with the 11 ft 3 weight, but I am happy with my choice.

Wow!! 11 ft rod. That's impressive. Made me smile when thinking what my mentors would have thought of anyone using an 11 ft rod.

Jim Parks

I am surprised by how few responses this question has received . Maybe some don't want to give out secret rods ? I was a lurker for many years and did not want to upset the locals on this forum , then I realized we can all share info and be the better for it . You don't have to be a guide to have a valid opinion on some of the questions put forth on this forum . that being said I will update on some of my own posts from the past to let those who did give me the benefit of their expertise the results of how I did with the input provided .Thanks to every one who does post and participate and to all the lurkers out there ,JOIN IN YOU CAN ONLY ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE HERE

I wouldn't worry about the lack of response or even a debate. It all boils down to how comfortable you are in what you use and the type of water you fish and flies you use. If I were more of a dry fly guy, I'd probably use a shorter rod on small streams, but since high sticking requires a different technique, I've found it easier for me to use a longer rod.

Regarding valid opinions, I've never been a guide. And my results from 40 years in the Smokies validates my opinion. Then again, the methods I use may not work for someone else. That's why I tell others to not try to fish like me, but use what they learn to add to their arsenal of skills. I've learned a lot from watching others, even what NOT to do at times. I was fishing Saturday and in talking with the guy I was with recalled the many different "flavors" I've learned in fly fishing from different locations. The use of flies and various techniques from Arkansas, Wyoming, Montana, Hawaii, and Alaska and how to apply them to whatever situation I've found myself in even in the Smokies. That's part of experience. Even reading Lefty's book on casting, which had a HUGE impact on my fishing. Still, I rarely walk out of the water without something to consider on how to be better, to catch more fish, or catch THAT fish. Probably the biggest lesson I've learned this year about fishing in the Park, is how much difference a cast of just a few inches can mean nothing or a big mouth opening up on my fly. Every time I start to believe I've mastered this, I find myself a few years later looking back and laughing at myself. Years ago in college I took karate. The world leader of my particular style paid my dojo a visit. He made the comment that it is called practicing karate as perfection is never reached. The same with practicing medicine for physicians.

In reality, at best we're all practicing fly fishing. It'll never be mastered, but the journey in always learning.....

To me, THAT's what keeps fishing worthwhile.

Jim Parks

+1 for the Syndicate. I have the 11' 3wt and love it. If I'm fishing for trout and wading, I use this rod period (no need for this rod fishing from the boat though). I find that with the longer rods, the 3wt tip has plenty of give for smaller fish/finer tippets while the butt of this rod has plenty of strength to put the screws on larger fish. Admittedly, I have not fished with many other Euro style rods, but I don't think I can ever go back to a standard length rod for wade fishing.

I just use whichever rod costs less than $30.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    I just use whichever rod costs less than $30.

My first outfit costs $20 new. Rod, reel, fly line. And the amazing thing.... I caught fish on it!!

The beauty of it.... I didn't know I "needed" a better one.

Particularly in the Smokies, the rod isn't that important. I do recommend a reel with a good drag though, because yes, there are some fish that will use it. I use a 30 yr old Scientific Angler reel.

Jim Parks
    Frugal Fly Fisherman

does anyone have any experience with the new TFO drift rod/system , it looks interesting and could cover a lot of situation if it works well