Thread: Halloween on the Holston

Default Holston water temps

Halloween day at lowest trout access point the water temp was 63 at mid day. Air temp was 60. I'm sure the water temp has gone back up to unacceptable levels since the weather turned warm after that and has stayed warm even at night since then.
    Last edited by Stoneflylama72; 11-06-2017 at 08:36 PM.

There's a whole bunch more water flowing now than there was on Halloween, I'll check a temp sometime this week hopefully. They shut the dam of for about a week which allowed the water to warm a bit, although if they are generating 70 degree the large volume won't help any

I didn't really know what to expect. Last trip for trout was early July. Mid July trip the water was 72, threw a streamer for a little while hoping for a smallie, no luck.
    There were a few trout rising for a short time on Halloween. Sporadic and varied bugs. A few Caddis, crane flies, midges and a couple of mayflies. Caught 3 trout on floating emergers and missed a couple more. Two trout were rainbows about 13" and 15". One brown about 11". Two out of three fish had obvious hook marks in mouths from being caught and released earlier in year. It was nice to see holdover fish that far downstream. Also nice to see catch and release stockers turning into decent trout and hopefully next years good fish.

Holston is 57-58 degrees at the forks of the river last two days

That sounds promising. Maybe the water is getting colder the farther it travels with the cooler air temps? Hopefully TVA will shut it off for a couple days soon. I know they are suppossed to start stocking in November. I guess that's good and bad, more fish, but before the stocking every rise in the river had a good fish under it.

In general it gets cooler as I drive upstream toward mascot but at this time of year I suppose the water could get colder as it travels further downstream from the dam