Thread: 11/13/17 Clinch

Default 11/13/17 Clinch

Fished the weir pool yesterday. Not feeling too good about my homeriver. The lack of food compared to good years is astounding.
    Not only is there a lack of mayfly nymphs in the lower river now, there is a serious lack of midge activity/larvae in all of the river.
    Very few surface feeding fish at any time.
    In ‘07-‘08 you could walk on their backs anytime near dark.. now just a rise here and there.
    The water temps are high. High enough that we caught a bluegill, gar, and stripe bass 100yds from the ****. Saw quite a few Buffalo up there too.
    We did catch quite a few rainbows but they looked and fought anemic.
    Oh well, hopefully Norris will turn over soon and get some of that cold water back in to our river.
    4X

I drove over after work yesterday evening to talk to my buddies who fished, I was waiting on them at millers ramp, and there were fish feeding pretty heavily in the tail out above the island until after dark. A lot of small fish but every so often you'd see a good fish poke its nose up. There's a lot of factors playing a role with how that river is fishing right now. Like you said we need cold weather and water soon.

If those Buffalo would actually eat a hook they would be quite fun! I know they bite occasionally but not near enough

I fished the weir today and there was a decent amount of midge activity. In 2.5 hours I caught 3 stocker rainbows, broke 2 fish off, had 2 straighten hooks, and LDR'ed quite a few more. Water temp was 62 around 1.5 hours after they shut down generation.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I should also say that until today, my fall trips to the Clinch have been similar to fourx's in terms of fish and midge activity.

Water temp was not taken with a fancy thermometer. It was taken with a freebe that was found alongside Little River Trail; probably from Walmart
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Well I went back today.
    With lower wind there was good midge activity.
    Caught about 5 in three hrs

Sometimes it's just your day... Check out this photo from Bill B's trip to the Grinch the other day from LRO's Facebook page!
    Way to go Bill!

LRO FACEBOOK LINK: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=67070943463
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

Quote Originally Posted by fourx View Post
    Fished the weir pool yesterday. Not feeling too good about my homeriver. The lack of food compared to good years is astounding.
    Not only is there a lack of mayfly nymphs in the lower river now, there is a serious lack of midge activity/larvae in all of the river.
    Very few surface feeding fish at any time.
    In ‘07-‘08 you could walk on their backs anytime near dark.. now just a rise here and there.
    The water temps are high. High enough that we caught a bluegill, gar, and stripe bass 100yds from the ****. Saw quite a few Buffalo up there too.
    We did catch quite a few rainbows but they looked and fought anemic.
    Oh well, hopefully Norris will turn over soon and get some of that cold water back in to our river.
    4X
    Fourx,
    Fishing is very good for quality fish right now if you are keen to their activity and lack of... Midges and the regular fair are in the box during this time. Just have to been mindful of how you catch and release the browns. I work their gills very thoroughly and make sure they are renewed enough to maintain themselves. IMO-It is very easy for them to drown after a build up of lactic acid and the limited mobility to process oxygen.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change

Pretty sure I saw him catch that fish. I was throwing streamers to a pod of huge browns but I got punked out; couldn't generate any interest other than a few half hearted follows. Was wishing I had a rig to fish midges but only had my big streamer rig. Oh well, maybe another day. My flies were swimming great; fish couldn't have cared less!

Well, Bill,
    At least you had the preserverene to commit to a streamer rig.
    Kudos.