Thread: Colorado Flyfishing Trip

Default Colorado Flyfishing Trip

Hey guys

Iíve been researching for months and there is really a lot of good areas so itís making it tough to really choose. Maybe yíall can help me out.

Iím planning to go with friends to fly fish for trout in Mid September ( from what I read this is the best month but again i could be wrong input would be a great help).

Between chessman canyon, south platte, Rocky Mountain National Park, 4 mile creek, 11 mile canyon itís tough to pin one down.

We know the trout there a lot bigger than the Smokies so we are not worried about catching huge trout. We would like an area where We would catch a lot of trout rather than one where we would have to work hard just to catch large trout.

We would like to fish in streams that are wadeable where we can walk through the streams and we will float one day with a guide on a tail water or bigger river.

I know this is a lot but do yíall have any suggestions on spots and time of year?

First and foremost, all of those Front Range streams will have a lot more crowds than if you look west of the divide. Also, there are not float trips available on any of those rivers. You would need to look at the Colorado River, North Platte, etc. if you want to do a float.

As far as catching a lot of trout, the larger "famous" rivers are going to be a lot more technical so hiring a guide for a walk/wade trip early on will help you catch fish throughout the trip. Most all of the "famous" streams will be tougher in terms of numbers of fish just because they receive so much pressure. The Arkansas River is probably an exception because it is such a big river with tons of access. If you want a guide on the South Platte or Arkansas River, see if you can book Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com). For numbers of fish, some of the smaller streams and perhaps lakes of RMNP will offer much better fishing but generally smaller fish. I like the North Fork of the St. Vrain in Wild Basin. It is a small stream and will fish a lot like a Smoky Mountain stream. The Big Thompson up the trail towards Forest Canyon will fish good also as would Glacier Creek. This is all assuming it hasn't gotten too cold by the time of your trip.

Some of the streams west of the divide will fish really well that time of year as well. In particular, the famous tailwaters of the Taylor and Frying Pan should have good hatches and good dry fly fishing, but the fishing will be really technical. The South Platte is always good but like I said it will get quite crowded since it is so close to Denver compared to other options. Rocky Mountain NP can also feel crowded sometimes...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    First and foremost, all of those Front Range streams will have a lot more crowds than if you look west of the divide. Also, there are not float trips available on any of those rivers. You would need to look at the Colorado River, North Platte, etc. if you want to do a float.

As far as catching a lot of trout, the larger "famous" rivers are going to be a lot more technical so hiring a guide for a walk/wade trip early on will help you catch fish throughout the trip. Most all of the "famous" streams will be tougher in terms of numbers of fish just because they receive so much pressure. The Arkansas River is probably an exception because it is such a big river with tons of access. If you want a guide on the South Platte or Arkansas River, see if you can book Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com). For numbers of fish, some of the smaller streams and perhaps lakes of RMNP will offer much better fishing but generally smaller fish. I like the North Fork of the St. Vrain in Wild Basin. It is a small stream and will fish a lot like a Smoky Mountain stream. The Big Thompson up the trail towards Forest Canyon will fish good also as would Glacier Creek. This is all assuming it hasn't gotten too cold by the time of your trip.

Some of the streams west of the divide will fish really well that time of year as well. In particular, the famous tailwaters of the Taylor and Frying Pan should have good hatches and good dry fly fishing, but the fishing will be really technical. The South Platte is always good but like I said it will get quite crowded since it is so close to Denver compared to other options. Rocky Mountain NP can also feel crowded sometimes...
    Lots of great info thanks man!

What about cascade and twin creek? I read some good things about those areas

Post Great post and help David!

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post

David,
    That is a great reply and very good information. Thanks for being a great fellow fly-fisherman, steward, and kind person!
    ďEvery human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change

Yea thanks again David. I looked into those spots and it just confirmed what you already said it really narrowed it down for me

Quote Originally Posted by GSM Bigfoot View Post
    What about cascade and twin creek? I read some good things about those areas
    Sorry, I cannot help with those streams unfortunately.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Hey guys

Looks like will be fishing the San Juan area.

We are renting a cabin on the river in Pagosa Springs. We will get a guide for a float and maybe a wade.

Please recommend any good spots in the Pagosa area or close by.

Thanks!