Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday-January 1-2018-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Default Monday-January 1-2018-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition!
    6th Year Anniversary! !
    Official Announcement

The Great Smoky Mountains most highly anticipated event of the year is only 26 days away! Monday, January 1st 2018 New Year's Day at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic area in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park!

Yes, the new year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have deteriorated and aged terribly.

The last few years my New Year's Day tradition for the next year's fishing karma is to go fish on the first day of the year. The amount of time fishing or number of casts does not matter, it's simply getting a line wet at least once on New Year's Day, Monday January 1st, 2018 and setting the tone for the coming year!

This is the sixth year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm Monday January 1st, 2018 New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2018. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fanatics gathering for a minute of casting, telling tall tales, outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, and as tradition demands we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have!

As we speak Duckypaddler is hard at work in his secret underground lair creating the Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma winners plaque. A work of art that the winner receives if they pay shipping and handling!

Join us as we welcome the next 100 years and celebrate the coming year on New Year’s Day, Monday January 1st, 2018 at Metcalf Bottoms off Little River Rd.

LAST YEAR'S WINNER DAVID KNAPP "David's completely unbiased testimony: "My life improved over 500% after winning last year!"

Not to fail to mention also winning a six pack of Armours Finest Vienna Sausage! Look at the sheer joy on that young man's face!

DAVID'S 2017 WINNER THIS FROZEN FISH WAS CAUGHT WITH DAVID'S SECRET WINTER FLY: A TINY PACK OF MCDONALDS KETCHUP!

Last edited by bigsur; 12-06-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Someone asked me about what to bring, if you have never been to Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition food is a big part of it. Just like every year in addition we provide hot dog's on the grill with fixin's, and hot coffee, we bring 10 x 10 pop up canopies for those of a weaker nature to huddle under again! Why even the Mr. Buddy heaters may make an appearance again like last year. We just ask you to bring a side item or dessert to share along with your beverage of choice. We will have multiple grills and some have brought soups and chilli, Of course we all hope every year Stanta Claus, our own resident cajun and LRO Forum alumni arrives with his cookin mojo, some years it's been gumbo to BBQ!

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location.

STANTA CLAUS COOKIN DA GUMBO LAST YEAR

TENT CITY

YES WE FISH!

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I love this event and tradition you have started! What a great way to promote friendship and comradery. I am going to try and be at this year's event. Thank you for taking a step forward in this world and trying to make a difference in the live's of others and the things that you do!
    ďEvery human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change

I am, indeed, planning to be there again this year. Haven't decided exactly what I'm going to make, but I guarantee it will be heart-warming, filling, and possibly even tasty. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there again this year and I promise, nobody will go home hungry! SC
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

I am home in Kentucky for the winter but am going to try and get down there for this. I had a great time last year.

I canít let David have all the fun, so I think Iíll be up there this year. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

The "BIGSUR'S NEW YEAR'S DAY KARMA TRADITION 2018" plaque is complete!

Hats off to our own LRO Forum alumni and plaque designer "DUCKYPADDLER"!. Once again this year he has provided the winner of this auspicious event a Hall of Fame award to take home for 2018.

Thanks Ducky!

​"Someone asked me why we immediately take away the infamous 'HERB'S WELDING SHOP" hat after the photo-opp of the winner wearing it?"

Simple answer, that is why we came up with the beautifully designed plaque by Duckypaddler for the winner, it's the only hat we have in existence of the "HERB'S WELDING SHOP" memorial hat! As if winning a plaque, a picture in the hat prominently posted for eternity or (until the internet is replaced) is not enough on top of winning a six pack of Vienna sausage from our good friends at ARMOUR MEATS. (Disclosure-They are adamant about not being involved with this event!)

"SEE YA NEW YEAR'S DAY"

Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma 2018 is on at Metcalf Bottom and rolling rain or shine! If snow should close the Park gates pay attention for the alternative location which will be posted here and on the Great Smoky Mountain TU Facebook link below right up until 9AM Monday. Whether you cast from the bank, on a gravel bar or knee deep in water does not matter; the cast for your 2018 fishing Karma is what matters. The dogs will be grillin even if it's chillin outside, dress warm and bring spare clothes if you are going to wade. After safety of course the second most important thing is not to qualify for the "Candypants" award given out to those who don't make it due to temperature. Remember, I have seen most of you fish with ice in your guides and pick up cold food from the dirt, so eating hot food and having warm drinks at Metcalf Bottoms while swapping lies ain't that tough a day! BYOB!

"Don't forget the winner receives not only the plaque, a photo opp in "Herb's Welding Shop" memorial hat but a take home 6 pack of Armour's delicious Vienna sausages packed in it's convenient and dang near indestructible carrying case!"

Last edited by bigsur; 12-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Are you going to bring an ice auger to cut a hole in the ice so that someone can actually get a fly wet? It ain't looking too good from an open water standpoint right now. Marianne and I are on our way back from further up north, and all the creeks up this way are frozen over SOLID!!!. And if this snow stuff doesn't lighten up soon, we might not be able to get back home in time to come keep you company out in the cold! SC
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!