Thread: Twra

Default Twra

Here we have another fine example of tax dollars spent and dwindling resources and services.

While it's nothing serious, TWRA website has been revamped and has appeared to be missing A LOT of things that they've had for the last, idk, 8 years.

Guess we can't see what streams were surveyed and what the results were. Unless we want to personally request them. Lol

Sorry for the rant, hopefully someone can prove me wrong. I just don't see the reasoning in taking resources and educational information away from the public. Lol

http://twra4streams.homestead.com/WWSangleruse.html

The TWRA website changed when all the state websites changed and it absolutely sucks now. I fish and hunt in several states each year and TN's is the worst to navigate through. This change was probably done by the same person who thought paying an advertising agency $46,000 to come up with the new state logo of "TN" would be a good idea. They both happened around the same time.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Prior to the change the region 4 website was pretty decent. Had PDFs of every stream survey back to the late 90's. It's just fun stuff to read and explore.

They neglected to take down this lengthy disclaimer and page stating some laws and such, more then most would read. Probably just to deter people from actually taking the time to request such documents.

By the way there's a fee if they thinks it's over $10 worth, basically.

Welcome to 2018. lol

I believe this change was a State of TN initiative and not by TWRA (?). If I remember correctly; it was to centralize the state resources and to make it easier to find information. In my opinion; it has become more difficult.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
    Prior to the change the region 4 website was pretty decent. Had PDFs of every stream survey back to the late 90's. It's just fun stuff to read and explore.

They neglected to take down this lengthy disclaimer and page stating some laws and such, more then most would read. Probably just to deter people from actually taking the time to request such documents.

By the way there's a fee if they thinks it's over $10 worth, basically.

Welcome to 2018. lol
    A paddling buddy of mine Alex Zendel made this awesome website for paddlers: http://www.rainpursuit.org/map/

Pretty soon he will lose access to all the PUBLIC data. Seems like the govt. can make money selling it to weather.com and such and won't keep it pulic much longer. Will the USGS gauges be next? I don't know if many of you remember that you used to have to call a 1-900# and pay for each level reading. Things like the TVA app and my buddies http://www.rainpursuit.org/map/ makes our lives much better.

His site is awesome. In one glance you can see where the rain fell according to the radar, see all relevant stream gauges, and rain gauges. No more going to radar, then looking at USGS, then searching rain to try and guess. While it great for paddlers, is also great for fishing. I used to guess and use SWAG to pick stream, one look at the data and most of the time I'm surprised and often then changing my plan before we start. This is much better than goto stream A, only to see it's too high or too low, and you already waste a few hours before you get to another stream. Or worse, once you get to stream B you see boot prints and either you now have to find creek C, or are wore out enough where you say screw it, and just fish behind someone.

Least the Smokies aren't for sale yet! (Sarcasm)
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    I believe this change was a State of TN initiative and not by TWRA (?). If I remember correctly; it was to centralize the state resources and to make it easier to find information. In my opinion; it has become more difficult.
    Imagine that hahaha