Thread: Hiwassee 12/7

Default Hiwassee 12/7

Got a few guys together and drove up from Chattanooga to spend all Sunday fishing as we saw the daily average for the day would be 750 units. So according to the TVA app it would be 2 generators til 10, 10am-1pm 1 generator, and 0 til 2 o'clock. SO we assumed we'd kill it most of the midday. BOY were we wrong....and so was the other 10 guys there with us. The TVA decides it will completely disregard what they posted and blow out the river until 7pm. For the most part the app is spot on but never this bad. Now I am going to be very hesitant in making that drive next time.

Quote Originally Posted by reelteam6 View Post
    Got a few guys together and drove up from Chattanooga to spend all Sunday fishing as we saw the daily average for the day would be 750 units. So according to the TVA app it would be 2 generators til 10, 10am-1pm 1 generator, and 0 til 2 o'clock. SO we assumed we'd kill it most of the midday. BOY were we wrong....and so was the other 10 guys there with us. The TVA decides it will completely disregard what they posted and blow out the river until 7pm. For the most part the app is spot on but never this bad. Now I am going to be very hesitant in making that drive next time.
    Hi, I was wondering which generation schedule did you look at? The Hiwasse river is fed by Apalachia dam. I know it is confusing and I almost made that mistake once.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

I've fished it plenty of times and yes I checked Apalachia dam. I was one of 10 other people who assumed they would follow that schedule but they just decided to blow it out and change the schedule as the day progressed. I have the screenshots to prove it. I've fished almost every tailwater in the state and I had never had this happen to me. That being said, I gave it another chance last weekend and everything was fine.

The app also clearly states that the water release schedule is subject to change without notice. Also, just because they aren't generating from the powerhouse doesn't mean they aren't releasing from the dam. I've seen several times where the app says zero generation with the river at almost flood stage due to Appalachia dam (not powerhouse) releasing.

The schedule from one phone or computer can vary sometimes. Your phone may not update it as it should when you open the app. Who really knows. Also these dams really aren't there for recreation anyway. And At the end of the day it's ran by humans who are imperfect.

At least you don't live in Hawaii and get a ballistic missile warning on you phone. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by reelteam6 View Post
    Same thing happened to me on 01-17-2018. I checked it several times. Even right before I stepped out of my car. Was supposed to be 1 generator then drop to 0. Water never dropped enough for me to wade more than a few feet from shore.

Here's something no one has mentioned. I know they have been doing alot of work on Appalachia Dam forcing them to release into the dries (natural riverbed). That would explain Appalachia saying zero and yet why there would be as much water as a 2 generator release.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com