Thread: Fran Betters dubbing

Default Fran Betters dubbing

Anyone know what the Chestnut dubbing was that Fran Betters used in several patterns? Or what is close to it?

Australian Opossum on most of the dries like the Haystack and his Ausable Wulff. Some times on flies like his "The Usual" it was snowshoe rabbit dubbing. Another thing that I think is important is the color of thread he used. You can obtain an orange tint to a fly by using brightly colored orange thread with most any light colored dubbing. Dub the body lightly and when the fly is wet the color of the thread will show through the dubbing. I think most any modern synthetic will do now days if you don't want to use the original materials.
    Last edited by flyman; 01-12-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thanks for the reply

I think a park ranger could classify a fly dubbed with possum as "scented bait" hahahah

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    I think a park ranger could classify a fly dubbed with possum as "scented bait" hahahah
    "Could" being the most important word in your statement.

If the Park Rangers in the Park can't tell the difference between a Rainbow, Brown, and Brook trout, I wouldn't worry to much about getting busted for the wrong type of dubbing. Just my humble opinion.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    "Could" being the most important word in your statement.

If the Park Rangers in the Park can't tell the difference between a Rainbow, Brown, and Brook trout, I wouldn't worry to much about getting busted for the wrong type of dubbing. Just my humble opinion.
    ha! It's hard to know the local fish species when you are from Utah or Minnesota.........