Thread: Abrams

Default Abrams

Is there decent fishing in Abrams Creek around the campground? And the section where Rabbit Creek trail first crosses Abrams near happy valley?

It's mostly smallmouth bass and rock bass in that area but they will eat flies starting about April, maybe march if we get a warm snap

Is the water to warm for trout in that section?

You can hike back to the horseshoe for some good fishing. Just watch for bears and be ready to fall. The slickest, I a mean slickest stream I have ever fished.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    You can hike back to the horseshoe for some good fishing. Just watch for bears and be ready to fall. The slickest, I a mean slickest stream I have ever fished.
    last spring I fished Abrams for the first time in about 30 years. At first I couldn't remember why, after that day I then remembered. It has to be the most difficult stream in the park to wade. Granted I haven't fished all of the streams in the park, but it was awful.

It's been a few years, but I fished Abrams where Rabbit Creek comes in and caught probably 30-ish trout with several good 'bows in the 12-15" range. I was camping at Rabbit Creek Campground. I had no luck in Rabbit Creek, so I walked down to the confluence and fished up Abrams and it was pretty good.

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    Is the water to warm for trout in that section?
    Well right now it certainly isn't too warm! Haha. In the summer i imagine it gets up close to 70 degrees. I don't think it gets too warm because trout from the lake swim up there and live. I think it's just much better habitat for bass than trout. When I was a kid we used to catch trout between the ranger station and campground but I haven't caught one in that stretch since the early 90s. I do still catch them down near the lake sometimes

Is Rabbit Creek as slick as Abrams Creek?

Default Rabbit Creek....

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    Is Rabbit Creek as slick as Abrams Creek?

Nothing.... I repeat N-O-T-H-I-N-G is as slick as Abrams Creek!

Jim Parks