Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinch River-Water Temperature (01/30/18)

Post Clinch River-Water Temperature (01/30/18)

Here is my last reading of the Clinch River-Water Temperature (01/30/1 for those interested. The reading is from my Kestrel drop on a rig that reads about a foot below the surface.

I have about 100 readings from last year if anyone is interested in the raw data.
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

That's what the surface temp is topside of the dam as well

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    That's what the surface temp is topside of the dam as well

Thanks for sharing. It seems like the lake took longer to turn over this year. Maybe it is that my readings are becoming more accurate. I keep up with this information for personal interest. Sometimes things jump out to me and sometimes the do not. I guess it keeps things challenging.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

If it’s the same on top and bottom, do you mean it has yet to turn or has already turned? Seems like the temp above and below the dam has been the same for months. I was wet wading clinch on Labor Day weekend. Thanks for sharing your data

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    If it’s the same on top and bottom, do you mean it has yet to turn or has already turned? Seems like the temp above and below the dam has been the same for months. I was wet wading clinch on Labor Day weekend. Thanks for sharing your data
    Sorry for the confusion. I believe the lake thermocline has turned over as a whole. There are many micro thermoclines (currents, underwater springs, creek tributaries, etc.) as most experienced lake fisherman know and where to find them.

I notice that the river tends to turn grayish during the transition and the aquatic grass grows more during the winter months with an average warmer river temperature. Then, it dies off with the longer days of sun exposures, river down times, and colder water in the summer.
    power

Is it possible to wade the Clinch and fly fish for trout, or is it really more for boats?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    Is it possible to wade the Clinch and fly fish for trout, or is it really more for boats?
    It totally depends on the generation schedule but is extremely wadeable when the conditions are right.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    Actually, most of my fly fishing is done wading and during lulls in generation. Boats are nice to carry your gear, treats, and to explore. You will need a decent pair of waders to feel comfortable and fish. You can rock hop in a few places. But, then you are limited to where you can fish. Hope this helps. Be safe and mindful of the generation schedule!
    power

What are some good fly patterns for the Clinch this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    What are some good fly patterns for the Clinch this time of year?

Actually, the stockers will hit just about anything right now. The key is to make sure your fly is presenting at the correct depth and approach so that they can take it. I fished for about 1 1/2 hr Wednesday throwing olive midge tubing wrapped fly, copper tungsten bead on a #12 hook. I expect that I landed about 30 or so in that time frame. The fish mongers were having a field day as well. They were a nice mix of trout.
    power