Thread: Dubbing - Which to buy

Default Dubbing - Which to buy

I'm getting back into fly tying and trout fishing (have previous salt water tying experience).
    I'm working on tying supplies for flies in middle/east Tennessee (mostly Caney Fork).

At this point I want to buy one of the dispensers with various colors/shades of dubbing.
    I see rabbit, possum, beaver, fine, super fine,,,,,, etc.

Would someone please give me a tip on what to get to start with for this area?

I've been tying a lot of midge pupa to get my hands working but, need to progress.

Appreciate some help here.
    Regis (in Mount Juliet)

Quote Originally Posted by RegisG View Post
    I'm getting back into fly tying and trout fishing (have previous salt water tying experience).
    I'm working on tying supplies for flies in middle/east Tennessee (mostly Caney Fork).

At this point I want to buy one of the dispensers with various colors/shades of dubbing.
    I see rabbit, possum, beaver, fine, super fine,,,,,, etc.

Would someone please give me a tip on what to get to start with for this area?

I've been tying a lot of midge pupa to get my hands working but, need to progress.

Appreciate some help here.
    Regis (in Mount Juliet)
    I recommend buying one of those plastic dubbing multi-color kits. Another key aspect of dubbing is identifying its utilitarian properties. Some float better, some sink better, some are best wrapped tight, some are best brushed out.

Remember, you do not have to use that much for nymphs. Start with very small pinches of dubbing and add when needed. I do not bother with dubbing wax. I just wet my fingers and moisten my thread. I hope this helps get you on track with your needs.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

For most of my ties, I use beaver. I also have grey and yellow superfine and a hares mask. I like the superfine for my parachutes. Hares mask for nymphs and soft hackles.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Most of the nymphs I tie for TN tailwaters use very little dubbing except for a sparse collar or a hot spot. For the bodies I mainly use micro tubing, pheasant tail, turkey biots, stripped peacock herl, Veevus or Hends body quill, or thread with ultra-wire, The dubbing I typically use are ice dub in peacock, and UV purple, pink, tan, brown, olive and dun. I don't tie many dry flies for tailwaters, but a multi-color pack of superfine with adams grey, yellow, sulfur orange, tan, brown and olive, are good to have on hand. I also tie a lot of small soft hackles (size 18 or 20) so investing in a good partridge skin will provide plenty of small hackle feathers.

I appreciate all for the tips. Time to order and get on with tying.
    Thank again,
    Regis

I usually prefer natural fur dubbing for nymphs, and synthetics for dry flies. Hareline is good natural dubbing in a good selection of colors for a good price.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Just keep buying more! You can never have enough.

Hi Regis,

I like the natural buggy look like rabbit or squirrel dubbing for nymphs and superfine or synthetics for dry flies.
    Angora goat is good for leeches.
    Arizona semi seal is great for streamers.Looks awesome when brushed out.
    Dubbing loops are fun.You can put just about anything in a dubbing loop and make your own.
    I also have a cheap coffee grinder and use different yarns to make my own blends of dubbing.

Here is a great link that explains a lot about dubbing.Hope it helps.
    https://thelimpcobra.com/2013/01/08/...ques-tutorial/

There is a lot of good information in that article Southernloops. I'm sure all that knowledge took years to aquire.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Check out this link to a classified ad on the Spey Pages forum. Lots of good stuff. It is not my ad.
    http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/9...materials.html