Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherokee National Forest

Default Cherokee National Forest

Anyone trout fish much in the Cherokee, specifically the southern section? Easy access is not a concern at all. Not looking for honey holes, just a point in the right direction. Thanks.

Yes.

How's that for a little direction.

I'd start fishing the DH section of Tellico right now, and then venture out from there.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Tanks Buzz!

Without giving away too much info, here's a few streams worth exploring:

Bald River
    Doublecamp Creek
    North River
    North Fork Citico Creek
    South Fork Citico Creek
    Sycamore Creek

Pick up a Nat Geo map and decide how backcountry you want to get.

I'm sure there are some people that are going to cringe that I mentioned "their" place, but these are all fairly well know places and have been published in fishing guides.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Outstanding, thanks!!

Good info, Buzz.

Ethan, the Nat Geo trail map you'd need is Item #781 - Tellico and Ocoee Rivers (Cherokee National Forest). LRO may have it at the shop.
    These free downloads should help too:
    Last edited by JoeFred; 02-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    CreekMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams

Tanks JoeFred!

Why is it you hear so much about GSMNP fishing, but barely a peep about Cherokee Nat'l Forest Fishing? And what about Martha Sundquist? Pisgah?

Granted I live in Texas, but I never hear about fly fishing in these areas. Is it a "Deliverance" situation?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    Why is it you hear so much about GSMNP fishing, but barely a peep about Cherokee Nat'l Forest Fishing? And what about Martha Sundquist? Pisgah?

Granted I live in Texas, but I never hear about fly fishing in these areas. Is it a "Deliverance" situation?
    IMHO, Cherokee NF has a reputation as more a bait fishing destination, generally speaking. Yes, there are wild streams there, but the Tellico and Citico areas are primarily used by bait fishermen. Personally, I do like the Tellico during the DH, but it's also a longer drive for me at least as I live in west Knoxville, when I'm home.

The Piagah does get a pretty good amount of info, at least on the NC side and some other forums. Also, there are two separate Pisgah NF's, they are not contiguous. One is primarily the Brevard area and the other is east of Asheville. I like fishing both. The Davidson, which receives a LOT of press is at Brevard.

ETA: I think the main reason you hear so much more about the GSMNP is simply due to numbers. Right at a little over 11 MILLION people visit the Smokies. Granted not all of those are fishermen, but that's a lot of people regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post

A: There are no fish at all in the Pisgah National Forest, except for the Davidson River and the delayed harvest creeks.
    B: Yes, it is a Deliverance situation. Very much so. There are amorous unwashed hillbillies behind almost every tree that are looking to violently damage your virtue. It's a dangerous place. I live here and I won't even fish those creeks.

The TN side of the Smokies and the CNF are much better places to fish. No hostile hillbillies, and there are so many fish that they will often crawl out of the creek and snap at your fly while you're tying it on. The NC side is mostly a waste of time and a risk of life and virtue.

Specks: the other pink meat.