Thread: Hub (for hotel) to fish 3 days in Smokies

Default Hub (for hotel) to fish 3 days in Smokies

My nephew and I are going to take a 3 day fly fishing trip in/near the Smokies. We want to find a hub where we can get a hotel and venture out within an hour and fish a few different streams/rivers. We live east of Nashville and it looks like nearly 3 hours to most places.

Would someone suggest an area with hotels that will give us a few accessible and wade able waters nearby.

You don't need to divulge specific places as we don't mind searching but, need a reasonable starting point.

Thanks,
    Regis

Gotta go with my personal choice Townsend, choice of hotels, food, and a variety of streams within minutes out your door in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Definitely hit LRO for map, fishing supplies and current water conditions, have fun! [P.S. For true Smoky Mountain immersion get slaw dogs with cheese at Phillips 66 gas station for our greatest culinary experience in Townsend!]
    Last edited by bigsur; 03-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Gotta go with my personal choice Townsend, choice of hotels, food, and a variety of streams within minutes out your door in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Definitely hit LRO for map, fishing supplies and current water conditions, have fun! [P.S. For true Smoky Mountain immersion get slaw dogs with cheese at Phillips 66 gas station for our greatest culinary experience in Townsend!]

Bigsur,
    I appreciate that and had already planed to stop by LRO with a thank you and buy a few items for sure.

I'll need to look closer at map to see what water is around Towsend.

Thank you,
    Regis

I own 4 fishing cabins in the Smokies, one of which burned in the Gatlinburg fires and I am rebuilding. The other three are in Cosby, all right on Cosby Creek. You can stay in one of my cabins for what a hotel costs and it will be one heck of a lot more roomy. Cosby Creek in the National Park is wonderful and you won't see another fisherman. Little Pigeon River is 20 minutes, Big Creek about 30 minutes, Cataloochee about 60 minutes.

This one is my personal place when I go out to the Smokies. 2400 square feet, 900 square foot gameroom with 65 inch TV, huge porches front and back, 3 acres of privacy, and fishing right on property on Cosby Creek. www.CabinOnRiversEdge.com

If that doesn't work for you, go to www.CabinsNearGatlinburg.com and scroll down to River Falls Cabin and River Falls Bungalow. Those are both mine and are just smaller versions of my big cabin but plenty comfy. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    I own 4 fishing cabins in the Smokies, one of which burned in the Gatlinburg fires and I am rebuilding. The other three are in Cosby, all right on Cosby Creek. You can stay in one of my cabins for what a hotel costs and it will be one heck of a lot more roomy. Cosby Creek in the National Park is wonderful and you won't see another fisherman. Little Pigeon River is 20 minutes, Big Creek about 30 minutes, Cataloochee about 60 minutes.

This one is my personal place when I go out to the Smokies. 2400 square feet, 900 square foot gameroom with 65 inch TV, huge porches front and back, 3 acres of privacy, and fishing right on property on Cosby Creek. www.CabinOnRiversEdge.com

If that doesn't work for you, go to www.CabinsNearGatlinburg.com and scroll down to River Falls Cabin and River Falls Bungalow. Those are both mine and are just smaller versions of my big cabin but plenty comfy. Good luck.
    HuskerflyFisher,
    I appreciate this and as soon as we pin down the exact dates, I'll contact you.

Thanks,
    REgis

No problem! I am rebuilding my log home in Gatlinburg that sits literally right on Roaring Fork Creek. I expect it will be completed mid-May.

This cabin is going to be tremendous - it's made out of solid yellow pine logs, massive vaulted ceilings, casement windows, spa deck, screened in porch, commercial stainless appliances, Ralph Lauren furnishings, hand-made Hickory dining table and chairs, an upstairs man cave with aspen billiards table, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all, you can catch the Gatlinburg 12 inch stockers right on property.

When I fly into Knoxville, I take a right right out of the airport and take Maryville Highway through the Smokies. It takes you literally to LRO to get outfitted. Never take I-40, you miss all the good stuff!

On the main LRO web page across the silver bar is an option, "Plan your trip" and from there is, "Where to stay". There are some good options listed there which are situated around Townsend, my favorite base of operation. While I usually stay back country, I've used Dock's Motel many times and can recommend it.

- Matt -

Cherokee is also a good base of operations that allows you to get to a lot of different water without driving too much.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Default Cabin Rental

No problem! I am rebuilding my log home in Gatlinburg that sits literally right on Roaring Fork Creek. I expect it will be completed mid-May.

This cabin is going to be tremendous - it's made out of solid yellow pine logs, massive vaulted ceilings, casement windows, spa deck, screened in porch, commercial stainless appliances, Ralph Lauren furnishings, hand-made Hickory dining table and chairs, an upstairs man cave with aspen billiards table, and a bunch of other goodies. Best of all, you can catch the Gatlinburg 12 inch stockers right on property.

When I fly into Knoxville, I take a right right out of the airport and take Maryville Highway through the Smokies. It takes you literally to LRO to get outfitted. Never take I-40, you miss all the good stuff!

Don't overlook Roaring Fork..... Especially if in a cabin on the creek!

Jim Parks

I think I met you a few times while I was fishing roaring fork at the park entrance during October last year. Sorry about your place hopefully itís up soon. Iíll be fishing that area again early mornings in 5 weeks so I may see you walking your dog.