Thread: Park Map

Default Park Map

Does Little River Outfitters sell a Park Map? How much are they and how detailed are they? Is it the same as the National Geographic Map? Thanks.

Mike P.

The only ones I have seen in their shop is the NG one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion1971 View Post
    Does Little River Outfitters sell a Park Map? How much are they and how detailed are they? Is it the same as the National Geographic Map? Thanks.

Mike P.
    Mike, I thought LRO carried some of fellow LRO Member (JoFred's) printed maps(?). They are very well done to guide you well and not over advertise the honey holes He has them for download as well.

http://www.sasmaps.com/

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion1971 View Post

Mike P.
    For the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps, consider getting 316&317(1:40,000) instead of 229(1:70,000) for better detail. They are BIG but good for trip planning.

Also from National Geographic http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads/
    These maps are free, 1:24000 scale USGS Quad maps that are sized to print on standard 8.5x11 paper. (3 pages double-sided, 5 single). The files download in PDF format. Note there are 29 USGS Quads for full park coverage, it takes a while to find each on the interactive map. Additionally the file names for the files are nonsensical, so rename the file after downloading. (For instance the Siler's Bald Quad is named 35083e5.pdf). In my opinion these are the best maps available, they just aren't as convenient to obtain as other options. The Quads are also available for download on the USGS site directly, but they are not formatted for the 8.5x11 printing.

I'd also like to recommend getting the free Avenza Maps GPS Application for your smart phone (iOS/Android). It allows for offline GPS navigation. The 29 USGS quads for the park are available a single bundle (free) for the app. You can then use the phone app to store some or all of them on your phone.
    "NPS/USGS Great Smoky Mountains National Park 2016 Topographic Map Bundle"

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/5493...hic-map-bundle
    There are also commercial maps (including the 316,317, 229 national geographic maps) available for purchase for the app, I use the free ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Mike, I thought LRO carried some of fellow LRO Member (JoFred's) printed maps(?). They are very well done to guide you well and not over advertise the honey holes He has them for download as well.
    http://www.sasmaps.com/
    The sasmaps maps are really good. I have the old physical maps for the majority of the park. They are more detailed than the Trails Illustrated maps (1:30000) and more convenient to use if you are fishing a specific stream. I find the free medium resolution maps to be of limited use. I'd suggest buying the high-res maps or use one of the free options I previously mentioned above.

- Matt -

Well I ended up ordering the National geographic map but it was the 1:70,000. Did not know they made a better one. Will have to look for it.

I went ahead and ordered the other two National Geographic maps, 316&317. I should be covered as far as maps. Now I need to figure out where to fish. Thanks again for the help.