Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pace

Default Pace

I'm always looking at potential ways to spend one or two days on park streams. I'm from out of town, but come up there a lot. I've never been able to truly get a feel for pace. I scope out a good run, and think, "mile and a half, no family, getting after it, I DONT KNOW if I can make that in a day." So I'm curious, from you guys that spend multiple half and full days, and sometime an hour or two after work, on park streams, what is your pace? Can I cover a mile in a half day? I am a versed small stream fisherman, I fish the Smokies several times a year, but don't have the experience to know an exact pace. I had a guide
    (the most excellent Rob Fightmaster)
    who I've used a couple of times and stay in touch with on a regular basis tell me once , Chad, you wouldn't finish the gorge above Chimney Tops picnic area because you would want to fish every fishy spot there is. So I look at the distance, I tell myself, you can make your approach cast, you can cast a few more times, then climb up and move on to the next. Even then, I have a nervousness about setting off on a mile+ backcountry without knowing what a reasonable pace is. Can anyone weigh in on this? I would never do that stretch alone, but other stretches look great, just don't know how fast I will be moving. I also don't want to move TOO fast and not enjoy the day. Thanks.

Your question is extremely subjective. What is a slow pace for one may be a fast pace for another. Also, some streams demand a slower pace. Size of the stream makes a difference.

All of that that being said, if I know a specific stretch I want to fish, I will base my speed as to how much time I have. That doesn't always work. A lot that adds to this is how many hits, strikes, fish I am getting, other fishermen as well. Weather plays a part. Are storms on the horizon, is the wind picking up, etc., etc.

This is an almost impossible question to answer. Then again, just go at the pace that suits you. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, no need to make it a race or to push yourself so that it takes the fun out of it.

Just my opinion.

JayR nailed it. Sometimes I fish fast, a lot of the time I fish real fast, but sometimes I fish slow. I just fish the speed that I'm enjoying.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

I've found that being quiet, and the slower pace due to a stealthy approach, helps me catch more fish, especially if I actually wade, instead of roll casting from the bank. A stealthy approach helps land fish and necessitates a slower pace. For me personally, I can take two hours to cover 100 yards because of the fact that I am being so careful. Others may fish that same stretch in ten minutes and catch more fish than me. It really depends on the fisherman and their capabilities.
    Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 03-12-2018 at 08:15 PM.

At 67, I don't worry about pace. I just look for a place that I can easily (or fairly easily) access. If I can get down the bank and then up to access a spot, I may just stay there for a hour or two and then look for another accessible (for me) spot to fish.
    Joe

I don't think there's any particular answer to that question. It just depends on my mood, how the fish are hitting, how rough the going is, how big the stream is, and whether it's mostly big, deep holes or pocket water.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Ok since no one is going to answer the question I will go ahead and say yes, you can easily fish a mile in 4 hours. I find when fishing middle prong for example that about 1/10 of my time fishing I spend walking back on the road. So if I fish for 4 hours I’ll have a 20 minute walk back which is a mile. This is a good way to judge your “pace” fish a roadside stream aka middle prong for maybe two hours then time ur walk back to the car. A little math and u can get an idea pretty easily.

Thank you 3wt! That is an excellent suggestion. I agree with all of you that pace is a personal choice.

I'm lazy, when I get 200-300 yards up from my car I walk back and move it. Yeh, I'm covering the same distance but I'd rather have my car close by if an emergency pops up, weather moves in or I get thirsty/hungry. If I'm fishing a non-roadside stream, I use the 20 minutes/mile theory or just check my Garmin watch.

I'm so slow now it takes me 90 minutes to watch 60 Minutes.
    Last edited by flyman; 04-19-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali