Thread: Wanting to learn

Default Wanting to learn

Good morning I have fished with ultra light for years but now want to learn flyfishing Unfortunately when the class is I am out of town if anyone can give info on casting or willing to show me thanks terry

Quote Originally Posted by terry stewart View Post
    Good morning I have fished with ultra light for years but now want to learn flyfishing Unfortunately when the class is I am out of town if anyone can give info on casting or willing to show me thanks terry
    If you don't have a fly fishing friend to get you started, your other choice is a good guide that teaches. As a matter of fact, a teaching guide is better than friend in one way, you won't learn BAD habits. It does cost BUT, In the long run, you may save enough in wrong/poor/unnecessary equipment. You can learn knots on youtube but, casting, mending, watching will take some tutoring. Fly choice, well.........that's another story.
    Definitely let guide know that you want to learn and is he/she willing.
    My 2 cts
    Regis

Depending on where you live, Orvis retail stores offer beginner fly fishing classes. As I recall, I think they're free.

If you have any coordination at all, I think you'd be better off hiring a guide for a full day than going to some class. I would call LRO or David Knapp. I have had several other guides (one of them highly acclaimed) that I wouldn't recommend for beginners. Some of these guys are burned out on guiding and have been for a decade. And it shows. You're miserable and they are, too. David has guided for me and my son and he is very patient and gives you a TON of education about how to catch fish. You'll be catching your limit by the end of the day.

Go for it.

Thanks for the info

Cool 2nd the comments about “teaching guides”

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    If you have any coordination at all, I think you'd be better off hiring a guide for a full day than going to some class. I would call LRO or David Knapp. I have had several other guides (one of them highly acclaimed) that I wouldn't recommend for beginners. Some of these guys are burned out on guiding and have been for a decade. And it shows. You're miserable and they are, too. David has guided for me and my son and he is very patient and gives you a TON of education about how to catch fish. You'll be catching your limit by the end of the day.

Go for it.
    I’m self-taught (i.e. glutton for punishment) and I have only ever taken one guided trip... with Josh Pfeiffer of frontier anglers. I split the cost with a buddy which made it less painful on the wallet. I learned more about smallmouth fly-fishing that day than in several books I’ve read and many days on the river. I’d look him up or his partner, Gary Troutman... and that David Knapp guy seems pretty awesome too.
    -:- Todd Baker
    -:- Former Coloradoan with Appalachian roots and saltwater aspirations.
    -:- https://www.instagram.com/technowannabe/

All of the above recommendations are good. My years of experience would suggest the following in this order:
    1) a good guidebook like The Orvis Guide to Flyfishing - great resource for all the basics (casting, knots, reading water) that you can go back to anytime
    2) join a local Trout Unlimited chapter - most will have beginner workshops, many will have fishing outings where you can fish with experienced fishers, also make fishing buddies to continue to learn from
    3) hire a guide that likes to teach - pricey but SOOO worth it! I learned more in the brief hours on the water during the few guided trips I've been on than any other resource!!! Most GOOD guides know that teaching is part of the experience; talk to folks that have used this guide. Many offer instruction + fishing options (half day instruction/half day fishing)
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

I think the most important question is where are you located and/or how far are you willing to travel to meet and fish? Kind of hard to offer help other than suggestions not knowing.
    Last edited by KevinD62; 05-23-2018 at 02:43 AM.

One thing that really helped me was a few DVDs I ordered from Joe Humphrey's site, especially his nymphing and casting DVD. A lot of good suggestions posted above, as stated, a good guide is worth the money.