Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My NEW Personal Best Park Brown

Default My NEW Personal Best Park Brown

Took a friend of mine over to the Carolina side in search of some high water browns. This particular stream has always been a magical place when the water is slightly stained and elevated, yielding several 16-20” browns for me in recent years under these conditions.

We make our way to the first pool, and I start down at the tailout section, focusing my efforts on a deep slot tucked between two large rocks under and overhanging tree. My SECOND cast of the day and drift through, it happens. BAM! My sighter Tippet is jarred with the force of a locomotive. I set firmly, thinking this is a quality 15-16” fish. And then she turned broadside.....I’m now looking at the golden flanks of a ticked off, beautiful 22” female brown.

My friend, still trying to process what in the heck just happened, saw the magnitude of this fish and positioned himself perfectly downstream with the net, negating any opportunity this fish would take to head down the heavy current below. A series of blistering runs, powerful head shakes and a scary moment that the fish decided to duck under the net on the first attempt followed.

Finally, I was able to bring her up to the surface, maintaining side pressure while coaxing her down towards the net at a moderate pace. He scoops and he scores! A series of high-fives, hollars and “what in the world just happened?” ensues. Now that is how you start a day out!! Very thankful to have connected with this beauty for a few moments before sending her home.

A shot of this beautiful 22” female brown.

That's a great story and a even better fish that would be a dream fish for me that size!!

Awesome fish
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Really nice fish!
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Very nice, might take a while to top that one. Way to go!

Ok, so to get these fish is it a change of technique from normal, or location and timing? I do the ďtypicalĒ fishing in the park, you know dry dropper on middle prong and elkmont and what not. Think Iím fairly proficient, catch quite a few most days but Iím never hooking anything really over 12Ē. So whatís a guy gotta do to get into some of the larger fish in the park? Asking for a friend

Awesome Chase!

I think I know where that is and if so, I think I met her back in early October. Looks like sheís doing well.

Catching big fish:

Rule #1 Fish where they are.

Jim Parks

Jim, awesome brother. She is healthy, strong and well. She was something to behold for sure.

3 wt, Iíll echo what Jim said. Fish where browns are of higher concentration and really aim for the right conditions, cloudy days and high water are the ticket.

My favorite is during HEAVY downpours with rising water thatís dingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    ........ rising water ..........
    Yep!!!!!!!!!
    My posts are worthless without pictures