Thread: Warmwater Tips

Default Warmwater Tips

Any of you that do any bass fishing on the lakes around here care to share some local knowledge? I am not looking for honey holes or anything like that. I live close to Lake Loudon and got a kayak last year to get myself out on the water and into better position to go after some carp, largemouth, smallmouth, and white bass (and really whatever else that will bite). I usually catch a couple when I get out there with a Clouser, EP Minnow or one of the various other streamers I have tied up, but I have yet to have a "great" day on the lake as far as catching fish goes. Don't get me wrong, any day on the lake is great, I am just talking in terms of really dialing into the fish.

What sort of advice would you experts have for a guy just getting into the warm water fly fishing game to help shorten the learning curve? I still love my trout fishing, but I am working on learning the new water because it is so much closer to the house. Sometimes I can get out for a few hours, but that isn't enough to get any quality time in the park or on the Clinch but it is enough time to get on the lake.

Thanks for any tips.

It has been awhile since I have fished any of the local lakes with a fly rod, but being spring it is a good time of year. The largemouth and crappie and bream are shallow enough to target them easier as they move into the coves into shallower water along the banks to spawn. I prefer throwing topwater flies but some jig style streamers fished under an indicator around brush works pretty good also. You probably wont see them unless they are super shallow and the sun is at peak overhead, so casting longways along shorelines improve the odds of finding them. The TVA lakes are so deep here, that they returm to deeper water quickly after the spawn and it becomes harder to find them with the fly rod. Look for areas less than 10 ft deep.

That makes sense. I am staying out of the main channels and working that shallower water you mentioned but fishing more parallel may help. I am with you in that I much prefer topwater. I start there with gurglers and poppers and then move to streamers if they are not coming up. It may just be that its all about timing with the deeper water...or I need to move up into the rivers to get some moving water. Thank you!!

There’s enough white bass up in the rivers to walk across right now

Nice. I knew it was about time for them to start up. I bet they wear out a clouser minnow fished shallow.