Thread: Colorado-Adjacent States Snowpack-Runoff News-Predictions

Default Colorado-Adjacent States Snowpack-Runoff News-Predictions

Those of us who follow and fish Colorado and the adjacent states out West watch the snowpack levels and runoff predictions as hard as we do local tailwater releases here at home and plan our trips each year. We are blessed with an abundance of water here in the Smokies area with a normal glut of rain almost every year that we wonder when is it going to let up. The West in some places not as fortunate any year this year especially the Four corners area, while parts of Northern Colorado squeaked in some additional late April snow which helped up the totals.

Below is a link to a website called "Coyote Gulch" I just found that did a decent job of gathering up info from several sources from government agencies to local news that simply posts reports from these diverse groups. It is one day old and gives a good insight in to current projections, predictions and information for those of us who follow the West regions. There is an interesting report within where they have intentionally let 15 miles of the Rio Grande dry up to hold back water for storage as summer progresses for agriculture. Then they removed fish strategically or stopped the water in steps forcing upstream migration of the fish to mitigate and minimize the loss of fish.

P.S. This attached article is more reports, updates and technical info, sorry no pictures of fish and not verse and bible just a website reporting what they gather in their region.

LINK: https://coyotegulch.blog/2018/05/01/...s-melting-out/
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Interesting stuff. I live right next door to NM, and I have been concerned about the lack of snowfall this year in the southern Rockies and how it would then affect the fish and fish populations this year.

Iím going to San Juan to fish in September will this issue affect the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by GSM Bigfoot View Post
    Iím going to San Juan to fish in September will this issue affect the fishing?
    I would stay in touch with local fly shops via their websites or phone calls in the area you are headed as you get closer, September is a ways off and many variables between now and then can affect an area. I have been in touch with shops in the Vail valley area of Colorado and they are looking at a shorter runoff period this year due to minimum snowpack they received around 70-75% of normal and warmer early temperatures. The 4 Corners area where Colorado, Arizona, Utah and New Mexico meet are predicted to be hardest hit as only approximately 30% of snowpack was received. I think for Colorado it is the third driest year in history but not as bad as 2012; we have learned over the years to be flexible as to where to fish. Some years we focus on high country when water is high or low country when water levels are already tight up high, the best years of course are when the water is plentiful and we can hit it all.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I am a caretaker at a ranch in the Creede Colorado area (headwaters of the Rio Grande) and we have literally only about 10 percent of snowpack left and will be significantly below normal water levels all year. Float fishing for this area will be almost no existent but the wade fishing should be good ......... if we can avoid forest fires with the dry conditions.

Fishing is good still, yesterday we caught several with some over 20. I would add pictures but I have forgotten how to add them, it has been too long.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by rbaileydav View Post
    I am a caretaker at a ranch in the Creede Colorado area...Fishing is good still, yesterday we caught several with some over 20. I would add pictures but I have forgotten how to add them, it has been too long.

DD
    I want to know when you are hosting a LRO forum outing to that ranch
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog