Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horseshoe question?

Quote Originally Posted by GinsengMan View Post
    Wow! Right here would be a good place to take this discussion in another direction. If you can't swim, stay off of Abrams Creek, have someone along with you, or at least have some type of floatation gear. I can guarantee you that if you go around either one of the Horseshoes, or below the Falls, that you will be swimming. I don't say this jokingly.
    we've beaten The Shoe advice to death but the above is best advice given in the thread...do NOT go if you are NOT a capable swimmer.

100% agree...youíre going to slip on Abrams, just a matter of when and how often. I hit Abrams Wednesday and Thursday this week. There are lots of hungry Ďbows.

Keep in mind you donít have to go all the way to the horseshoe. Youíre passing up tons of spectacular fishing holes. I put in after less than 10 minutes up the trail and fished all the way back to the parking lot. I took my time, spending about 4 hours on the water Thursday. I have to admit Wednesday was a bit of a rough go but both days paid off!

Well that really stinks! Fishing the shoe has been on my bucket list ever since I started fishing in the park and read about the shoe. But I can’t swim at least not very well. Which makes me glad I asked you guys for advice on the horseshoe. Oh well, I have always preferred brookies over bows anyway. So this summer, Sams creek here I come!

thanks again guys,
    hNt
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.

Go to the Chimneys picnic area and fish up to the Chimneys/Road Prong trailhead. That will get you in practice.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

With all the large deep holes I'd say avoiding this area is a good decision if you are a poor swimmer. Even a good swimmer has their hands full with just a vest and wading shoes on if they take a dip.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Well that really stinks! Fishing the shoe has been on my bucket list ever since I started fishing in the park and read about the shoe. But I can’t swim at least not very well. Which makes me glad I asked you guys for advice on the horseshoe. Oh well, I have always preferred brookies over bows anyway. So this summer, Sams creek here I come!

thanks again guys,
    hNt
    Where boots with metal spikes. I have never fallen with metal studs. When I wear felt I always fall a few times at Abrams. The rainbows there are so aggressive. A normal day we catch about 20,25 trout each. Weíve had days where we caught 40 trout each. Most bows are 8-12 inches and we only seem to catch a few 12-14 inch bows when we fish it.

I go and fish it every October and April. If you ever want to fish it with me and my father send me a pm.

This is a top discussion..I cracked my elbow on abrams,it is slick,slick,,I was not even close to the horseshoe

And broke a cane rod,Walter babb built it and fixed it for me ..7.5 ft 4wt perfection taper..I have not used it since..it is a baby doll...that was 12 yrs ago r