Thread: Brown Trout Kinda Day

Default Brown Trout Kinda Day

One of the things I tell people who are interested in targeting wild brown trout in the National Park is to pick your battles patiently and wisely. Instead of opting for the bright, bluebird sky kind of days, one must be comfortable in the nasty, rainy high water conditions. Yesterday was no exception to this, as I woke up to find the gauge level of my favorite stream in the Park to be on the high side of good, maybe even a step into the “sketchy” category. The water had a nice stain to it and the fish were extremely active and willing, especially by this stream’s standards. Heavily weighted Stonefly nymphs were the ticket.

it was a great Numbers day, sure, but also was one of those days where it seemed like the average size fish was just a step above normal. No monsters this trip, but the gem of the day was this beautiful 15” male brown. Perfect markings on this guy.

So get comfortable out in the nastiness, fish where they are and don’t be afraid to throw the big, heavy stuff. Tight lines out there friends.

Well done and great advice.

What did Waterwolf tell you about that hoodie and those goo-goo eyes? LOL, I can't stop laughing.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Chase, when you're fishing the weighted nymphs, are you tight-lining or fishing under an indicator? Or put another way, what's the best way to fish a heavily-weighted nymph?

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    What did Waterwolf tell you about that hoodie and those goo-goo eyes? LOL, I can't stop laughing.

Lmaooo now that's funny 😂

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Hahaha he ain’t lyin man, I know I know!

Quote Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
    Chase, when you're fishing the weighted nymphs, are you tight-lining or fishing under an indicator? Or put another way, what's the best way to fish a heavily-weighted nymph?
    Joel, I typically fish nymphs euro style, meaning tight lining with long leaders. I typically build my own. The leader setup is as follows:

1) 8-10’ of Maxima Chameleon 20 LB
    2) 3-4’ of Suffix Elite 14 LB
    3) 30” of 2x Sighter Tippet
    4)Tippet Ring

The actual Tippet size and length depends on the situation. I pretty much always fish double nymph rigs, tying a double surgeon’s knot to attach my top fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Turner View Post
    Hahaha he ain’t lyin man, I know I know!
    Hahahahah, that’s good stuff. Keep catching stud fish and you can wear a dress for all I care

Now that's a nice fish...