Thread: FINDING JOE BROOKS documentary TV schedule for premiere-next weekend

Default FINDING JOE BROOKS documentary TV schedule for premiere-next weekend

The Joe Brooks Foundation has produced an outstanding film about the life of fly fishing pioneer Joe Brooks. It s a 90 minute feature length film. Byron has discussed this project on the board previously, as well as in his Fishing Reports. Byron included the intro to the film by the late Lefty Kreh. For those who have not heard of Brooks , he was a legendary fly fisherman, and his innovations and exploration of new techniques and species and locations in fresh and saltwater around the world were featured in the classic American Sportsman TV series in the 1960's. I would urge all fly fisherman to make an effort to watch this film. Click on the website below to see more information about the film and especially the Vision stated for the film.

World Fishing Network:
    Friday, June 15-10pm (EST)
    Saturday, June 16 - 4pm (EST)
    Sunday, June 17 - 10am (EST)

Outdoor Channel:
    Saturday, June 16- 7:30pm (EST)

Sportsman Channel:
    Friday, June 15 - 8pm (EST)

If you click on the web page link for preview I think you can see the quality of the production:

Facebook: https://facebook.com/JoeBrooksFlyfishing

a bit more about the film's goal -

To tell in vivid detail the exceptional life of the little known icon of American fly fishing. In his 71 years Joe Brooks lived three lifetimes. From his privileged youth to a broken alcoholic to one of the most revered sportsmen of his time, Joe’s life is as complex as it is inspirational. Few people manage to change themselves in any meaningful way. But Joe did and, in doing so, he changed the world of fly fishing.

This should be good. Before the internet and all of the fishing magazines we have today a couple of his books were my go to sources for all things fly fishing. Trout Fishing and the Complete Book of Fly fishing are still useful resources today. Joe Brooks was and still is to this day a "big deal" in fly fishing.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Here is a Outdoor Channel preview video--

http://outdoorchannel.com/showvideos...gTLy9Evo.email

Really looking forward to watching

I can still remember to this day; even though I was just a young teenager, how my mentors who first started reading Joe's articles from Outdoor Life were influenced by the methods of tandem nymph fishing that were passed on to me and others at that time. The fishermen of the mountains of Appalachia knew about throwing chunky, heavy conglomerations of feathers, but when Joe came on the scene, he introduced a method of matching insects together and presenting them to big, stubborn fish that changed all of what had been"Chunk and Dunk" to "tight line nymphing." The use of the Strike Indicator has had it's place since that time and they both have added to the pleasure and successes of modern day fly fishing.
    GinSeng Man

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    a bit more about the film's goal -

To tell in vivid detail the exceptional life of the little known icon of American fly fishing. In his 71 years Joe Brooks lived three lifetimes. From his privileged youth to a broken alcoholic to one of the most revered sportsmen of his time, Joe’s life is as complex as it is inspirational. Few people manage to change themselves in any meaningful way. But Joe did and, in doing so, he changed the world of fly fishing.
    Thank you Joe for sharing this video information. I am going to search it out and try and watch it.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Just watched the program. Great show and really informative to me. I have heard of Mr Brooks but didn’t really didn’t know of his contributions to the sport of fly fishing.
    Jeff

I watched the Joe Brooks documentary last night and loved it. What blew me away was, near the end of the show, I saw Joe Congleton speaking, photos of him with Joe Brooks that I had seen before, and the quick shot of the Little T article. I called Joe at home last night at 9 pm. I couldn't help it. Joe Congleton and I have talked about this for months and he never told me he would be a star!

Joe, you son of a gun, I'm honored to call you my friend. You did a great job. You always do.

Byron

If you are into podcasts, April Vokey has one called Anchored. She just released an episode in which she interviews Joe Brooks's great nephew, who was one of the main people involved in the making of the documentary. There are some very interesting stories about Joe and the things he overcame. Just Google "April Vokey Anchored Joe Brooks".