Thread: Green Weenie question??

Default Green Weenie question??

I personally have had more success with the Green Weenie in the Smokies than any other fly. I am by no means any expert and I don't catch alot of fish, but I have a good time and I''ve gotten old enough now to enjoy more than just the fish when I go fishing, especially in the Mountains. My question is what is do you fish the Green Weenie? what is your favorite way to fish it? Indicator? as a dropper? or all alone? I am planning on a hopper dropper combo this summer, although I'm replacing the hopper with a beetle or maybe some kind of bee pattern. What can I say? I like fishing terrestrials.

hNt
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.

I fish mine as a dropper.

As a dropper, all year round, but in pink.

I fish it in the summer (June-Sept) dropped off a #8 weighted nymph. So far, best fish on a greenie weenie is a 22 Brown caught at noon on a hot day. So much for fishing early morning during hot weather.

I also use pink.

Jim Parks

Fish as a dropper behind a nymph or dry. If the fishing is slow I put it first and then a smaller nymph behind it. My logic is they will at least see the GW and this may trigger a strike on the small nymph behind. Don't get to fish a lot but it seemed to work when I tried it.

Hs anyone fished a bright green squirmy worm in place of the green weenie? My understanding is the loop on the weenie helps with movement in the water, and squirmies have quite a bit of movement too.

Yes, Green and Pink squirmies all work well in the Smokies. I keep both standard chenille weenies and squirmies in my fly box.