Thread: Success At Last

Default Success At Last

A good friend of mine who lives in Sarasota, Florida once told me that one has to pay his dues when fishing in a new area. We were fishing in Sarasota Bay at the time and he was catching fish and I was not. After several fishless trips, and after learning all the nuances of the area and the fish there, I started catching fish too. I was reminded of my friend's wisdom after being fishless in the Park for some time now. Well, the lovely Anna gave me a wonderful gift for Father's Day. She hired David Knapp's associate guide, Travis Williams, to take me fishing and teach me what I needed to know to catch trout in the Park.

I never really understood the "high stick nymphing" technique (with a strike indicator) with a 10 foot rod and fishing a nymph as a dropper was also new to me. Travis taught me how to employ the high stick method and how to rig and fish a dry fly w/ a nymph dropper. It paid off as by the end of the day I caught and released five trout and two of them were in the 13 to 14 inch range, chunky and full of fight. It was a great day and Travis really took good care of me. He was right by my side while we were wading and he kept me from falling in a couple of times. Thanks to all of the folks here on the forum for suggesting that I fish with a guide to learn the basics of fishing in the Park and a special thanks to David Knapp and Travis Williams. I think I can go out on my own now and catch some trout.
    Joe

Congrats! The dry/dropper combo is my go-to setup. I always catch fish but I'm sure there's other tips/tricks that a guide could show me to increase my success rate.

Thank you Mrs. Anna, and thank you Travis, for being a great guide. A little professional assistance can open up a whole new world. I wish you continued success.

You cannot go wrong with David Knapp and friends. He is a good fellow and seems to always try his best to help others.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Great to hear! Just remember when you try this on your own, nobody will be there to prevent falling so choose your steps carefully

Yeah, I know I have to be careful wading. I bought some felt bottom wading shoes so that should help. Also, I will not wade too far out and only cast to places I can reach (there are plenty of those). I'm going to try to post some pictures of the trip.
    Joe