Thread: A Possible Wading Suggestion?

Default A Possible Wading Suggestion?

This idea may or may not work in the Park streams but I will run it by you and see what you think. Back in the 70's when I lived in Michigan, I used to wade the shallows of Lake Huron, near the shore in rocky and gravel bottoms for smallmouth bass. After slipping and falling too many times, I had an idea. I used to use a fisherman's float tube to float around in the farm ponds while fishing near my house. After falling a few times in the shallow flats of the big lake, I thought I would try the float tube there. It worked great. The water was not very deep and the deepest I would go out was about waist deep. The tube kept me from falling and made wading very easy. The tube had a canvas covering with a built in seat and you just stepped into it, put the suspenders over you shoulders and go fishing. I am wondering if such an apparatus could be useful in wading the Park streams. I suppose it would only be useful in streams with a few deep holes or pockets. It probably would be too much trouble in very shallow streams, but it seems like I am always facing water deep enough for it to work. I would be using it only as a safety device to keep me from falling. Opinions please, and don't laugh, it might work.
    Joe

From what you are describing, it would only be feasible in the larger, deeper slow pools on rivers like Little River. Those are areas I find very unproductive. Maybe others have a better experience there. In swift water, I think it would only send you downstream.

My .02 worth.

You might be right, JayR. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it. When thinking about it, if it works, I had rather be sent downstream than break my arm on a rock. Being very vertically challenged (am 5'3" on a good day) I might be more successful with a tube than a tall guy who may never get into water deep enough to float the tube. I think I would be floating it constantly. I would just stay out of the fast currents (I could get close enough to them to cast to them, however). I might just try it and let the forum know the results. Now to find one.
    Joe

I agree with JayR. Float tubes are useful for still water or slow moving streams. In swift water, they would knock you over easier than having nothing at all (increased surface area to catch the current). There aren't many streams that I fish in the park where I would be wading in water that's very deep. I might cast to deeper sections but I generally won't be wading through anything that is much more than knee deep (that includes the Little River). Frankly, I try to stay out of the water as much as possible so I don't spook the fish. I would suggest using a wading staff if you want a little more stability in the stream. Lugging a float tube around just seems like a lot of work.

I would far more recommend a wading staff than a tube.

I have known several older fishermen over the years that fished the GSMNP well into their 70’s and their mode of fishing entailed a wading staff. I have never seen anyone fishing in the park with a tube as you mention (40 years of fishing) and I have to believe it’s for a reason.

I would strongly recommend you re-think this, I can see many situations where it could get out of hand with disastrous results. It would take some strong legs, etc. to be able to get out of the river, current, etc. if and when you got caught up in it.

Using a a tube like what you’re talking about in basically still water is more what they’re designed for in my opinion.

Be careful!

Strongly agree with Jayr's advice. There are already an overabundance of tubers in the places where that device might work. Try a wading staff and just go slowly and be careful. Remember that it's best to not get in the water unless you have to if you want to catch fish.

https://goo.gl/images/R4b75k

Like they said BAD IDEA!

The good things about those tubes is they are amazing stable keeping you upright. Downside they are completely stable upside down and will hold you indefinitely in a hydraulic. Add they straps and it's a death trap for sure. I remember someone died on the Hiawassee maybe 15 years back in that setup. Any of the big water in smokies really aren't suited for them.
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

OK, well you guys have convinced me. I should have mentioned that I DO use a wading staff and have used one for years. I also try to to stay out of the water as much as possible or just wade a foot or so into the stream. So, I will not try the tube idea. Nobody mentioned this, but I see a problem in just getting the **** thing from the car to the river. Not trying to reinvent the wheel guys, just looking to add a spoke to it.
    Joe