Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: “Bait” Fishing for Browns

This is extremely generous of you Jim. I thank you for being willing to share your expertise and success with this group. I can promise you that I will have some of both in my box in the very near future. Very much appreciated.

Jim, what is the best leader rig for high sticking? Do you attach nymphs directly to tippet with the 2nd fly as a dropper off the shank? Or do you run them on tag ends, Czech style? Thanks

Thanks for posting your flies. I believe the grampus would work great on shoal bass as well as it does look a lot like a hellgramitte. My tying abilities are a long way from being able to tie it though.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by flyphish View Post
    Jim, what is the best leader rig for high sticking? Do you attach nymphs directly to tippet with the 2nd fly as a dropper off the shank? Or do you run them on tag ends, Czech style? Thanks
    I'm not intimately familiar with the Czech style. I was over there last year and saw the stream where they had the World Championships a few years back. Not many I spoke with thought much about their style.

For several years I tied my own leaders, but quit and now I'll buy some of the White River or RIO Power Flex in 7.5 ft and 4x. From there, I'll tie the top fly onto the end of the leader, then tie another 18" piece of 4X onto the bend of that hook and tie the 2nd fly onto that. If the water is low and really clear, I'll go to a 5X. I always use fluorocarbon. Last week, I think I must've had a 9 ft leader from a recent float trip and I had trouble casting in tight quarters, so I cut off the top 2 ft of the butt end and reattached it to my fly line. If I'm fishing a smaller creek, I have gone down to a 5.5 ft leader. If I don't feel comfortable roll casting or if I have trouble on back casts or missing a strike getting caught in overhanging trees, I'll adjust the length by shortening it. I'd rather have a slightly short than a slightly long leader. It's all about line control and being able to detect strikes.

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by trad bow View Post
    Thanks for posting your flies. I believe the grampus would work great on shoal bass as well as it does look a lot like a hellgramitte. My tying abilities are a long way from being able to tie it though.
    Jeff
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm about a 2 on fly tying. At the start, Jim's Grampus is a bit "tedious" in tying the goose biots and wrapping the yarn but once you get to the thorax, it's straightforward.

I got the idea one day using a seine to catch what we called grampus out of the Pigeon River to use on a trot line. I think your idea of dead drifting on a smallmouth stream would work.

Jim Parks

Thanks for the response Jim. Some really good info in this thread, actually surprised at the willingness to share! Make it to East TN maybe twice a year to fish the Smokies and absolutely love it. Have caught big trout all over the state but I still love chasing little fingerlings in the park. Have bumped some decent sized fish but think it really would be an accomplishment to catch a big one here.

Quote Originally Posted by flyphish View Post
    Thanks for the response Jim. Some really good info in this thread, actually surprised at the willingness to share! Make it to East TN maybe twice a year to fish the Smokies and absolutely love it. Have caught big trout all over the state but I still love chasing little fingerlings in the park. Have bumped some decent sized fish but think it really would be an accomplishment to catch a big one here.
    I enjoy sharing from my experience, and help others enjoy the great opportunity we have with the GSMNP. Sometimes this is frustrating as I've had more than a friends want to go in the Smokies and not realize how physical it can be and I've wound up having them want to leave in less than 15 mins! Thus, I wasted a day in the Smokies, which is precious to me. Then there are those who go, but won't listen to instruction, and constantly complain about not catching any. Two years ago, I was fortunate to come into contact with a 14 year old young man who was and is a sponge for instruction. On the way to a birthday picnic, I told my wife God was leading me to help someone, and there he was. That was 2 years ago, and he's where I was after about 10 years and in some ways, he's better than I was after 30 years! Ah, but youth.... He's a few attention to details from cracking the 20" barrier, but he'll learn! Teaching him as helped me re-think the details of fly-fishing in its simplest terms and helped me slow my pace, which has made me better

Bottom line, when I was a kid there were older guys who took the time to show me what they knew. Fishing in the Smokies has deeply affected my life from the time I was 13, with the friendships and memories. I hope to pay that forward as my mentors did me. I think those guys like Charlie Murrell, Ernie Maxwell, and Elmer Leatherwood would be happy with the skills I've developed from what they taught me. I hope those who I'm fortunate to help along the way can feel the same 30 years from now.

I also feel obligated to let others know how great we have it in the Smokies as there is SOOOOO much false information out there that simply makes it seem more difficult than it is.... For example, I saw this on a Facebook page in answer to a question about some college kids needing help after not catching any on a trip last year..

"The park service has been busy the past few years eradicating the rainbow trout from the national park as they are a non native invasive species. All of the fish you will catch within the park boundaries should be brook trout and very small. (I'm talking the length of your finger small.) Catching them requires a VERY small fly, size 14-16. Generally nymphs work better than dries this time of year.

If you want to catch keeper size fish you need to fish where the trout are stocked. West Prong Little Pigeon in Gatlinburg, Lower Little River in Townsend, Oconoluftee in Cherokee, are all well stocked outside the park boundaries."

I did respond and correct the many errors in the comments on the Facebook post.

So, I'm always glad to share what I've learned but realize that there's still a lot that I don't know and I still learn something each trip. Feel free to ask me questions. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert dry fly fisherman, but I've done so well on nymphs it's rare that I'm tempted to switch to dries in the Park. When asked, I'll give my thoughts based off my experience, but realize there are few "always" statement in fly fishing for trout.

Jim Parks

You have almost given everyone the virtual keys to the city I've know a lot of fishermen over the years, but only a few who consistently catch large fish like you can. That's a good looking hellgrammite pattern. Like the others have said, it is very nice of you to share your knowledge. So many people have lock jaw now days. Before the internet people only learned by someone showing them things or by trial and error.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    You have almost given everyone the virtual keys to the city I've know a lot of fishermen over the years, but only a few who consistently catch large fish like you can. That's a good looking hellgrammite pattern. Like the others have said, it is very nice of you to share your knowledge. So many people have lock jaw now days. Before the internet people only learned by someone showing them things or by trial and error.
    There are numerous keys and I've given a few. Even with those keys are numerous combinations that must be used to gain the prize. Even with the fly that'll work at that given time, that's only the beginning. And sometimes LUCK helps!

"You gotta be at the right place at the right time and don't screw it up!"

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    There are numerous keys and I've given a few. Even with those keys are numerous combinations that must be used to gain the prize. Even with the fly that'll work at that given time, that's only the beginning. And sometimes LUCK helps!

"You gotta be at the right place at the right time and don't screw it up!"

Jim Parks
    You’re the man, Jim. Keep gettin after em!