Thread: Caney Fork Report

Default Caney Fork Report

I fished the Caney today after the heaviest rain had passed. When I arrived, the river was alive with hungry fish. I tied on a small parachute Adams for an indicator and dropped a small midge off behind it. I caught probably about 6 or 7 fish in the first hour or more which seemed a little slow to me, so I switched to 7X tippet and began catching a lot more. Overall, it seemed like I caught a few more better than average fish than normal. The river is a little bit stained because of runoff from the rain but overall it is fishing very well. Part of the way through the afternoon, a sleet storm drove me off the river to my car for a few minutes, but I waited it out and then the fishing was great! I caught the best fish of the day after the sleet passed, and it was a beautiful rainbow that was probably 14 or 15 inches. It was cold but definately well worth the trip!

David Knapp
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Re: Caney Fork Report

Congratulations on the fish and thanks for the report on the Caney. I took my sons there two weeks ago and had a blast using a #14 black soft hackle. We didn't catch a whole bunch of fish but we had an excellent time. The largest was a 12" rainbow. I did catch a 10" brown which was useful to educate the boys. If time and weather cooperate we are planning to head back down there Monday.

Tight lines.

Don