Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North Carolina Trout Streams

Default Re: North Carolina Trout Streams/Helton & Big Hors

Helton is a great stream, big fish too occasionally, avg about one 20" fish per week during the fall, winter, and spring with
    clients--mostly newbies. Big Horse is a nice little stream too, as there's special reg water there. Much of the wild water
    here (Ashe Co.) is brown trout water.

Default Re: North Carolina Trout Streams

There are a few waters on the Parkway near Boone, Sims Pond which is a 1 1/2 acre pond on the Parkway, there's Upper Boone Fork, Price Lake, Lower Boone Fork that flows out of Price Lake and Price Park, there's also Goshen Creek (brookies, small rainbows) as well as Upper Wilson if you drive a little further south. North from there your next area is Ashe County--your best bet there is Helton Creek or Big Horse. Helton is a DH stream and full of fish and some large ones too. Catch about one twenty inch fish per week in upper Helton with guide clients. Its great water and there's about 9 miles of it. Big Horse is another Ashe Co. stream, special reg water (Fly Only) with mostly wild browns and a few rainbows.

Helton was a good little drive from Boone, and when we got there, my wife "had to go", and it was so open and so crowded that we had to make the run all the way back to that closest town. After that, i was too frustrated to drive all the way back. I guess I was just expecting too much. I was told the fishing was better as you went further north, but having the Nan(both dh and upper and lower sections) and the park as my homewaters( in nc anyway), I found the streams to be few and far between......but maybe it was just me. Everyone kept telling me I could just stop and fish the creeks in the folks' front yards, but I just didn't feel right...( although I did see soem nice rainbows rising( yes, rising) in someone's front yard! )

I wish I had had the chance to fish Helton instead of just looking at it! LOL
    www.owljones.com - OwlJones.com - The Internet's Only "Fishertainment" Website

How about trout streams around Brevard? I will be there in the middle of June. I know the French Broad River starts just west of the city. Appreciate any info.

The Davidson River is close to Brevard. A friend of mine owns a fly shop there. Davidson River Outfitters. His name is Kevin Howell. He has some private water leased (I think 3 miles) and he charges to fish there. But, the rates are much more reasonable than private water in other areas. There is also some public water on the Davidson and a trout hatchery.

Byron

Thanks for the info. If I can "get away" from some meetings , I'll look him up!!