Thread: Elk River April 2, 2006

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Elk River April 2, 2006

I was able to get a few hours on the Elk today. This was my first trip there, so much thanks to those who helped me with access info. It was afternoon before I got there so I decided to just check out the access right below the dam. When I arrived, I tied on a Zebra midge about 12 inches below a small indicator and caught 4 small browns relatively quickly. After that, things slowed down for awhile. I wandered downstream to the first bend area and saw some rising fish but couldn't entice them. Finally, I started back upstream and after trying a few dry patterns, returned to the zebra. I then caught a few more fish, most of which were still small browns but one was a decent rainbow with very nice coloring. There were a few bugs coming off. I saw a lot of midges, some craneflies, and some mayflies that looked like March Browns. The fish were rising fairly well to something, but the only thing I could tie on that they would hit on top was a yellow strike indicator . All in all it was a nice afternoon on the water with about 10 fish to hand, but based on what I saw of the river I probably won't return again unless I happen to be in the vicinity anyway. There are definately much better tailwaters to fish in Tennessee.

David Knapp
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Re: Elk River April 2, 2006

i fished it sat.,it was very slow.caught one just below the dam.a little brown(my first) took a small adams first thing.done alot better at the next bridge access right before dark even though we almost never found it.proubly wont go back either. :-/
    go phish