Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

Default thanks

Thanks John, that info is very helpful. We might have to wait until spring. Keep posting when you aren't cycling. I enjoy hearing what you write about the area.

Default Yeltad

Thanks and tight lines!
    John

Heading to the Snowbird area this weekend. Have a cabin on the West Buffalo. If I can figure out the streams and bring any fish to hand I will post a report.

Default West Buffalo

A very nice little stream, good luck!

Thank you, I am looking forward to the fishing; however not the drive at 2 a.m. in the rain on the Tail of the Dragon with my wife and two dogs in a small car.

Default Late Trip

That is awfully late, be careful. Might even wait until morning... if from the Knoxville area. You likely won't see a soul, or have cell service through Deals Gap without a Sat phone (which I do not have). West Buffalo is formed by two creeks; Squally and H...... ? Right above the confluence of the two is a great run of about 50 or yards or so of bouldered pockets, enclosed by trees. Squally is full of wild rainbows, small, but lousy with them! I bet you all will be pretty far up West Buffalo, maybe actually on Squally.
    Enjoy yourselves!

I will be on the big snowbird tommorrow if you are up that way, we have the little blue car with Illinoisb tags

Default Drugcop4

Thanks for the invitation, sorry I won't be over this weekend. We have a family reunion in Crossville, TN tomorrow..... Good luck to you!
    John

Fished the Big Snowbird in cool weather and rain and it was awesome. Some fish took the Yellow Stimulator, but most were on the only bead head Tellico Nymph that I had. I brought about 12 fish to hand anywhere from 4 to 10 inches all rainbow. Had one Brown that went about 14 inches, he was camera shy and got off before I could manage the camera. Once I lost the Tellico I did not get another bite for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday. I told the wife my problem was I needed to fish more to get more practice with other patterns. I don't think she bought it.

The fishing was pretty good, I was poorly prepared and there is not a fly shop within reasonable distance for a short trip. I can tell you that the Tail of the Dragon drive on Hwy 129 is not for the faint of heart.

Default Drugcop4

Certainly glad you had some luck! Yeah that creek is full of golden stones, so the Tellico is hard to beat. There is a pretty good fly shop at the NOC on the Nantahala River. It is actually across the street from the NOC at the Wesser [General?] Store. That's about 30 minutes away. They usually have flies at Robinson's store on Snowbird rd as well, though I don't remember ever seeing any bead heads. Were you all travelling from Illinois, and did you have any luck there on West Buffalo?
    Hope you liked it enough to make a return trip sometime!
    John