Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Snowbird Creek and Neighboring Creeks

Default Thanksgiving weekend 07

Hi All,
    I have some good news the creek is up and it seems the full moon and higher water brought in some of the first fish. The water didn't hold up too much it was pretty low by the time we left Sunday, the good thing is that it is raining pretty regularly again, hope and pray it holds up! Here are some pics of some fish that shocked me over the weekend!, , . The weekend before we headed over to the Nantahala (took my wife son). The little caught her first trout on a dry, and was just a little excited..... . The my son caught a brookie.......on a dry. He played it a little more cool than mom. They just bring me along to take pictures at this point!
    Hope everyone is enjoying the fall weather. Note one of those big fish was caught Saturday morning at about 8:30; it was 23 degrees! We only got one other fish that morning, an eight inch brown! Go figure.
    Tight lines,
    John

Default Oops! Forgot to post the little guys's catch.

I don't have him hooked yet, hopefully that will come with time. The little woman though is pretty into it!
    Best,
    John

Default Those are some pigs

John,
    Looks like you are starting to have some fun over there in Robbinsville. I have been meaning to get that way some time and give it a try. That first fish looks like a football, are the rainbows gorging themselves on brown eggs or what?

Travis

Default Gorging fish

Travis,
    The only thing I can imagine is that the forage base in the lake must have been plentiful........or that is a brood fish, but to have caught two of them and to have seen others makes me think they are lake run fish (Santeetlah sits at 1,800 feet or better and is 160 feet deep) that had a good year eating shad or whatever the forage base is. They seem to be in the river from about now until the end of February. I have never caught one after the creek reopens in April. I wish I had had a scale espacially for the first fish, it was a pig! 4x tippet and no net, broke my line as I slid it on the bank. The last nudge was with my boot!
    I put them back, and wouldn't mind seeing more flyfisherman on the creek through these months. The creek is pretty heavily populated with people and the trash is not pretty. Maybe with a little more notoriety and reputation, a clean up of the creek can be organized.... With the locals, not people on this board.
    Anyway bring some stoneflies and salmon eggs; I like pale pinks and oregon cheese in about a size 10 or so.
    Best,
    John (send an emal if you like; jswitow@hotmail.com )

Default River Cleanup

John,
    I don't know much about the area, but I would imagine that a lot of it is private property. I knew a guy who offered to clean up someone's steamside property for access to the river through their property, and they accepted. I have been thinking about using this approach a couple of places on the Watauga and SoHo. Something like that may be a way for you to secure more access if you are looking for it.

My problem is that it is not an easy drive over from Knoxville, and if I came I would probably make it a multi-day trip. Are there any convenient campgrounds or a hotel you would recommend? If I decide to head over that way I will shoot you an email, thanks for the suggestions.

Travis

Wow...that one fish looks like an old-timey football. I was pleasantly surprised last weekend myself, that I was able to catch fish even though it was pretty cold. It is tempting me to rethink my original plan - to not come up to the mountains until just after Easter.

Great fish! I'm going to have to look for some lake run fish this winter...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

john, how far is the drive over there? from knoxville
    Trevor

Default Distance to Robbinsville

Trevor,
    It is around 70 miles from Knoxville to Robbinsville, but it will probably take you 2 to 2.5 hours to get there. It requires a long drive over "The Tail of the Dragon", and if you have never been through there it is curvy. I actually heard that along this 11 mile section of US 129 that there are 300+ curves, supposedly the curviest road in America. I have rounded a few curves before to find a motorcycle in my lane coming toward me.

Travis

oh, I've driven "the dragon" before. I try and avoid it at all costs. 2hrs is not so bad to me, though. I used to drive to bryson city all the time to fish. I'd wouldn't mind getting into some big fish over christmas break.
    Trevor