Thread: Need a few opinions

Default Need a few opinions

After many months of not being able to fish, I finally get to go tomorrow . I can't decide where to go. My options are 1) Elkmont, 2) Tremont, 3) Tremont in the morning and Elkmont in the evening or 4) some unmentionable, high elevation brookie stream. I can tell you a million advantages to each place and the only reason I'm not automatically going with option 3 is because I injured my back not long ago and don't want to over-do it but I'm willing to try it if that is the best choice . Without asking for any specific locals, where would you all go?

Default Re: Need a few opinions

Are you just being devious? Seriously, most importantly, don't over do it. I have recuring hip problems and a weekend of enjoyable fishing can sometimes lay me up for three to four days of pain.

Given the holiday weekend and the additional tourists in town, the enjoyable fishing will probably be at the higher elevations. You may not have anywhere by yourself but you may not have too many "neighbors" fishing for the brookies.

I'm going with my dad, and we will probably only do a half day trip and fish until dark. Neither one of us feel like fishing 12 hours and hiking 10 miles . If I can convince him to go to a high elevation brookie stream then that is what we'll probably do.

I would head south away from the tourists and go into Cherokee. I would fish the creek next to the road with the (2) camps on it. If you see a maroon Jeep Cherokee parked there, stop and say "Hi". I know this isn't one of your options, however the park is going to be packed this weekend. You'll be able to fish close to the road, and probably have most of the creek to yourself. Good luck this weekend and don't over do it.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

If I were you, with dad's problems, I'd try above Elkmont, have an easy walk up beyond the houses then start fishing. Last year on the 4th of July, I caught a COUPLE DOZEN bows during the middle of the day. Actually saw very few fishermen, tons of day hikers. I fished small beetles and a green weenie in the shady areas along the bank. There are lots of fish are there!!!

Tight Lines
    Randy Sale

Good luck with the traffic