Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poly-Yarn

Check out a product called:

"Aunt Lydia's rug yarn" I don't know how many colors they make but it's available at most of your hobby / Craft supply stores. I've also heard it referred to as "Sparkle Yarn." You can buy a lifetime supply for $0.99

Default Sparkle Yarn

Be careful, I would not use sparkle yarn for dry flies. It is not a polypropelene. It is very useful for subsurface flies, I use it all the time when tying permit crab flies, but it is an entirely different material that doesn't inhibit sinking. Very useful stuff. I have also found that the yarn sold in craft stores tends to be limper and does not have the shimmer of the stuff sold in fly shops.

I believe Aunt Lydia's is used for the veil on a LaFontaine caddis pupa.

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

As for "antron" or "Z-lon", I believe these are trade names and the material is clsoer to nylon than anything else...it will not float without some sort of treatment.
    That's a good point, AA. I believe the good people at LRO would be willing to sell you a number of different flotant formulas as well as some good yarn.

I should have clarified in my earlier post that Aunt Lydia's is best for bodies on certain fly patterns. I used Aunt Lydia's rug yarn and a dubbing twister for the body on this version of the Serendipity. Of course this has nothing to do with the posts on parachute flies, but for the general yarn discussion....

Last edited by rainshaker; 02-19-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    http://www.troutanon.com rrainshaker at comcast dot netrainshaker at comcast dot net