Thread: Reel recommendations

Default Reel recommendations

I just got a sweet deal on a used St. Croix Legend Ultra. *It is a 7' 6" 3 weight. *I am looking for suggestions on a good reel for it. *I have been using the Orvis Battenkill original reels and am thinking about trying out a mid-arbor or something else. It would also be nice if it would work well with my 4 weight Superfine rod so I can have an extra spool that will allow me to fish either rod. *Any ideas?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Re: Reel recommendations

I would go with the Orvis BBS II. It should fit nicely with both of those rods and is very light and very smooth. I love mine. Plus it's only $99 and I think the extra spool is about $45.
    --Griff--

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.

Those St.Croix LUs are great rods. I own two of them. A 9ft 3wt. and a 9ft. 6wt. I also have a superfine 4wt. My favorite reel is a Ross Canyon LA size 1, that is no longer made. It has a DT 4wt line on it and I use it on the superfine and the St. Croix 3wt. I liked the new Ross evolution reels but they are pricey.
    I bought a new Orvis Mid-Arbor for the 6wt a few months ago and it is very smooth and the price is much better. I would take the rod by LRO and see how they balance on the rod before deciding. Hope you enjoy it!
    Troutman

You know what you guys, you tell me this all the time and now you forget it YOUSELF LRO. They are awsome they can tell you. They probally have it too. Ask them.
    My Motto: Nature cannot beat Man, but Man cannot beat nature.

Thanks guys for the help... *I'll check into that BBS II. *I'm sure the good folks at LRO are looking forward to my next visit. 8-)
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

I would second the Battenkill Bar Stock. I own a series II and IV and love both of them.

Just recived my Hoilday Issue Orvis catalog. If you have one you've see it too. Page 3, check out the the 150th anniversary limited addition Vom Hofe "Perfection" Only 30 avalible. Asking price $4,650. I'll put it on my Christmas list but I think Santa would rather make a couple of house payments. I would love to have one but no reel is worth that price tag. WOW

Well now, a $4,650 reel sounds good. Seeing as how I'm a poor college student, I'll start taking donations from anyone that would like to see this reel put to good use... Seriously, for that price the reel should catch the fish for you so you can just watch and enjoy.

The Trout Zone Blog

I have a Galvan Standard 3 and an Open Back 4 and I love both of them. However, they are a bit more expensive. I am rough on gear and they have held up to all I've thrown at them.