Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elevation and Fish

Default Re: Elevation and Fish

I dunno what it is but I either don't see any snakes or I'm practically walking all over them. If I see one, several more are sure to appear sometime soon. The strange thing is, this is not confined to one watershed. I can go fish in NC in the morning and nearly step on a couple snakes. Then LR in the afternoon and I'm sure to see a few. Kinda makes you wonder where they are all the other times... :-/ :-?
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I didn't get to fish very much this year, we had a baby in April that put a damper on the all day fishing trips, but i've fished a lot in the Smokys over the past 5 years and i bet i've only seen half a dozen snakes. I'm sure that i've walked by a lot more than i've seen though

Yikes! *I saw three snakes back in the spring. *I'm confident none were poisonous, but I would have freaked if I stepped on one. *I had one swim up to within about five feet of me one day. *He just sat there and waited for me to leave.

Here's my version of something that happened to me 20 years ago. *I was fishing (spin) for Bows down in GA with my dad. *I had a few on a stringer (stockers) stuck in the ground between my legs as I stood on the edge of the water. *I looked down and there was a snake eating my fish on the stringer. *Scared the crap out of me.

Even more motivation for catch and release ! *I was only 15 at the time and I still remember climbing that bank like Spiderman. *It took a few minutes for me to calm down and go back for my gear.

redc4man, a similar thing happened to me, except a rattlesnake had crawled into a creel I had set down on the bank while fly fishing. Needless to say, the creel and my catch stayed behind when I left.

Always funny where those things show up...I was fishing on Tremont just below the end of the gravel road....I had come to a high rock wall on the road side of the river....there was a small ledge just under the water that would let me work my way sideways up river....about half way something made me look down and there between my feet was a snake looking up at me....all I could think of was what if it decided to crawl up my pants....everything tightened up and in a minute the thing swam across the river, crawled up on a rock and stared at me while I sped on my way.

All this talk of snakes remind me, That a snak hole is usally near the water so they can get to the water easily. Also never leave a dead fish on the bank. That is a snake feast!. But be cool 8-) snakes won't bother ya if you don't bother them. Also don't do what I did, pour water in a snake hole and then darken it with a rock! Yeah the snake moved the rock! I ran till I fell and he chased me. I was being stupid then

Giantfish
    My Motto: Nature cannot beat Man, but Man cannot beat nature.

SNAKES!

Snakes never really have bothered me. If I am wading, a snake is of my least concern. Most people I have fished with mistake common watersnakes for copperheads. They usually flee as soon as they see me, but it is kinda creepy how they slither along. If I am hiking, however, I try to keep a look out. I have seen a few copperheads, always coiled-up, and one rattlesnake that was crossing a trail. As long as you don't step on one or molest it, I dont think there is much to worry about. Well, unless it crawls in your creel!

come on guys--lets face it, if the old testament decrees a snake(s) taboo--and if it was indeed a snake who lied to our most basic chick,eve, back when adam was around--and if everything about them--1)their nature2)the way they crawl3)their looks,,is a turn off(I don't identify with snakes,,but these last 3 snakes characteristics is why i had trouble picking up girls in bars,while in college)and as far as I can tell ,a snake doesn't do much good---so---lets tell it like it is---most of us HATE snakes

Most people I have fished with mistake common watersnakes for copperheads.
    Now ain't that the truth. *I have seen a few copperheads in my life but never in the Smokies. *In the park, I've had plenty of people tell me to watch out for the "copperhead" just up the trail, etc. *As you said, always turns out to be a watersnake. *I've stepped over or nearly stepped on so many of those watersnakes though, I can honestly say they will give you a good scare until you realize what it is. *Some of 'em try to act all tough too...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I used to think it was pretty safe to let my guard down a little while I was knee deep in that cool water.....then one fall a couple of years ago my fishin' buddy and I were working our way up Greenbrier just below the Ramsey bridge.....by buddy who was on the other side from me let out a yelp and started doing the snake dance....figured he had seen one of those water snakes until he pointed to a big timber rattler cruising down the middle of the strream....darn thing caught on a rock in mid stream between use, curled up and watched us try to get a photo of him....saw them snakes everywhere for the rest of the trip.