Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Fly 2006

Default Re: Best Fly 2006

Troutman, check your PMs...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I know its not special or anything, but a parachute adams probably produced the most fish for me. I also got really turned on to caddis flies this year. when there were no hatches and the fish weren't rising, I could almost always get them to take a small tan caddis. last year, I fished the entire fall season almost exclusively with an orange palmer. this year however, I can't get a fish to even look at one. what gives?
    Trevor

I had the same thing happen to me with the orange flies. Last fall I started tying a variant of an orange EHC. First fish I caught on it was probably on the 5th or 6th cast and was a 14 inch rainbow. Over the next couple of days, the fish tore up every one of the 6 or 7 I had tied and I thought I had the best fall pattern ever. This fall was awfully slow on big orange dries... :-? I think they'll be eating them tomorrow though.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

This topic sounds like the good start for a fly swap. *Although I'm not sure if that is within the rules for the site. *Is there much interest out there?

I'd see nothing wrong with it, as long as you bought your tying materials from LRO . I'd love to swap flies, but all I can tie right now is a wooly bugger and an adams that falls apart before it even hits the water, so I don't have much to offer. my favorite thing though is to visit some stream and have a native give me a fly that they designed specifically for that area. last time I was in pennsylvania, I met a man probably in his 80's, he gave me a fly he made. basically it was elk hair dyed chartruese on a hook. it was supposed to immitate some kind of wooly inch worm, but unlike a green weenie, this thing floated and was almost spherical. it didn't look like much, but the fish loved it. also once in north carolina I walked up on a man in full camo coveralls, hiding in some mtn laurel. he was using a very strange fishing method that I won't mention here because he said it was his "secret" and made me promise not to tell anyone. but that particular day i was having no luck. and this is a stream I've fished many times and know fairly well. well... this guy gave me a fly that was basically a cross between a griffiths gnat and an ant tied with something irridescent (peacock maybe?) and about size 22. needless to say, I started catching fish immediately with this fly. I've saved these flies in hopes that I can duplicate them one day.
    Trevor