Thread: dry fly purist

Default dry fly purist

reading about everyones favorite flies got me thinking about something. I never use nymphs. I understand there are people who are "dry fly purists" and think it is more pure and traditional to use only dries, upstream, to rising fish. I don't hold any such view, I simply just don't enjoy fishing as much when i can't see them take the fly. except in times of extreme temp conditions, If i really think about presentation, I can almost always get a rise. rather than switching to a nymph or tying on a dropper, it becomes like a mission to get them to take a dry. does anyone else feel this way? I'm interested to know what some of you guys opinions are.
    Trevor

Default Re: dry fly purist

I'm too lazy to be constantly drying out a dry fly, hence the main reason I fish nymphs for the most part... 8-)
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I don't fish the Mountains enough and haven't had that much luck on dries on tailwaters so I usually go with nymphs too. I would rather see the fish rise and take the fly...Lord knows I've missed my share of fish because of being too slow with a nymph. The only time I've had luck w/ dries is in the Smokies.

dw
    Deedub

I'm not going to limit myself to enjoying only one facet of this sport. As far as prospecting goes, I would rather use a nymph. If I'm fishing a hatch, I'd rather use a dry. If I feel like slingin' a streamer I'll do that, too. I enjoy it all. A "dry fly purist" is one sided. I'd rather be multifaceted. I guess a "dry fly purist" would pass on a saltwater trip. I look at it this way, I would rather be on the water after some kind of fish than sitting at home thinking about it.

Keep it dry with me...there is something magical with a bow taking it on the top. Now...is it the purest form?? I would have to say some type of spearfishing would be the purist form...