Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nantahala Salmon

Default Nantahala Salmon

Does anyone know anything these fish. I have seen pictures,but those are dated. If anyone has info,rumor or other wise I would like to here it.

Default Re: Nantahala Salmon

I assume you are referring to the lake run rainbows from Fontana Lake that enter into the Nantahala River.?

Hey Ruggerfly thanks for the reply, but I am Sure the photos are most surely Salmon. NO Question. Thanks Again,Lynn.

Lynn,

I don't think many people know about the salmon run and if they do they may not be willing to talk about it. I know very little about it. Talk to Joe Hatton or Zack Mathews. And, when you figure it out, lets go fishing for them. I think they are Kokonee (check spelling).

Byron

If Byron is correct (the salmon are Kokonee in the Nantahala), then I do not know about it. Although, I have fished for these salmon out west, and they are the land locked variety. I would also be interested if you found out any additional info.

Sterling

Thanks Byron, I don't know Zach but I Can talk to Joe. I also E- Mailed some dude in North Carolina T.U. commision or something like that. I let you Know what I find out, maybe just a shot in the dark. One thing I did find out Are they are Kokonee,whatever that means. Found that on line last night. THanks for taking the time,Lynn

From what I know they are Kokanee and they run in October. They run out of Nantahala Lake, not Fontana. The problem is that that part of the river flows almost exclusively through private property and they guard it pretty thoroughly. I have heard that the Standing Indian campground does have some frontage on the creek and that you might find them there. A big one would be 21", but they sure look like a sockeye, big gnarly kype!
    I have not fished for them, myself this is second hand info.
    Best,

Someone told me that they didn't make it to the campground this year. I can't remember who said that. I hear so many stories working in a fly shop that I can't keep them all straight.

Byron

Byron,
    I feel famous! Are you talking about the Salmon or the fisherman (not making it to the campground)?
    Thanks!

John you are famous! I was talking about the salmon. The story I remember was that a ranger or person who works at the campground said that the salmon run didn't make it that far up this year like they had in past years. This is all second hand and I can't remember the source. I've only known a handful of people who have mentioned this over the years. I've never even been there.

Byron