Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harpeth friday

Default Harpeth Report

I fished it this morning for about 90 minutes.
    The water was flowing really well. Myself and two others using fly rods didn't have any luck right below the little dam.
    I went about thirty yards down steam...next to a big downed tree and had some really good hits. The first hit...I retrieved my line and found my BHWB gone (probably my fault), but honestly I haven't been ff that long and that was the hardest hit I'd ever had.

Anyway, long story short, I landed a nice rainbow right after that. I was a litte suprised at the size...considering they are all stockers...but I heard some guys talking that they put some nice size fish in.

My only suggestion...get there early...it started filling up when I left at only 8:30am.

Good luck out there.

dw
    Deedub

Default Re: Harpeth friday

It was 58 and sunny today so I headed down to the Harpeth about 1 pm. The state stocked it for the 2nd time this winter yesterday, so it was pretty crowded right around the dam. I waded downstream about 100-120 yards to where the water slows down and widens out a bit. I was all alone...and found a seam between some deep,slack water and the main current- a nice line of bubbles marked the spot. I caught 5 rainbows in about 45 mintues, the 2 largest aboout 14 inches long, 1 of which was pretty fat. All of the fish fought like ****...I had to play each for longer than I am used to doing on a small stream. I landed all of them by hand, though these guys were big enough I should have had a net. I took a few pics with my phone, I'd post them here except I can't figure out how to paste in a pic (If anyone knows how, tell me and I'll stick the pics in here).

I almost forgot to mention that I caught these fish on a fly that I tied- the first time for that. Got them on a #10 BH olive wooly bugger. Got a fly-tying kit for xmas from my wife, this was the first fly I tied in my life...it didn't look nearly as nice as the pictures in the Orvis fly-tying book, but clearly these stockers didn't notice. msh

There's nothing like success on your first tied flies 8-)

Grumpy

I work about 1/4 mile from the dam and noticed the mod there friday. Everytime i think about giving it a try the water is way up. But after of these post I think I wil put the fly rod in my truck. I don't like the crowds and friday was very crowed. Maybe i can sneak away from the work and give it a try. I think i will tie a nibblet corn fly first becausethat is what most of the fishermen are using.

I was going to send a PM to Big Irish, but I'm still new to this forum and don't see how to do that. Anyway, I live north of Nashville and haven't been to Nice Mill, but yesterday I was down that way and drove over to where I thought it'd be -- no luck. Would appreciate some input as to how to find it.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

I pasted the link to the TWRA map of the Harpeth stocking site below this message. If you need more specific directions please email me at michaelhilleary@yahoo.com and I will be happy to help. Good luck. msh

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/trou...t_Franklin.pdf