Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiwassee Report

Default Hiwassee Report

I fished the Hiwassee this afternoon for a few hours and had a great time! *The river is fishing very well with a lot of fish in the river. *I saw fairly decent numbers of bugs flying around as well with the majority being the usual microscopic midges but I also saw some BWO's and the winter little black stoneflies. *I started out fishing a copper john and caught a few fish quickly in the faster runs and pocket water up near the powerhouse. *A few fish were working above me in the slower water so I tied on a parachute Adams with a midge dropper and fished that the rest of the day. By the end of the day, the midge was shredded but the fish were still hammering it. *Quite a few fish took the dry today which was a lot of fun. I caught tons of 'bows and one fingerling brown today. *Near the end of the day, I had moved down the river and was lucky enough to see a large osprey apparently looking for dinner. *It was the perfect end to a great day!

Now for a couple of pictures...

An average fish today...

My best of the day, around 14 inches or so.

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Re: Hiwassee Report

Very nice... When did you say we were going there I've wanted to try HI for a while. Hans and Greg are supposed to head down there early March...

Hey PA,
    I was down on the Hi as well today. We got there around 11:30 and left at 4:00. I didn't have nearly as successful of a day as you did though it appears. We were down around big bend, and pretty much had it all to ourselves. I only managed to hook up on about 5, 3 of which were landed, but I did have lots of missed strikes today. I had a lot of trouble today hooking up, I think the wind was blowing so much slack in my line that I was too slow. Overall a nice day on the water.

Travis

Hey PA!
    Thanks for the report! I hope to hit the HI later today. Your report helps me decide what to throw. Of course, I will have to try some of my home made flies. I went to LRO’s tying class yesterday and then "shopped" for tying supplies and have since concocted some tasty looking animals!

best ones!
    Leinart
    " I caught you a delicious bass "

Kevin, let me know anytime you want to come down. I think you will like the Hiwassee a lot because it fishes a lot more like the mountain streams...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

Next break in the weather we'll make it happen. I've got a ton of midge patterns I want to try...

Yeah, Anyone wanting to go around March 1st which is my self imposed beginning of the season, is welcome to meet up. I used to fish the big HI ten times a year, but had to limit myself due to distance from K town and gas prices. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It is very good in April and May.

I'm interested in going sometime around that date, and I'm in the Knoxville area.

Tennswede, Let me know when you are planning on coming to fish the HI if you don't mind. I'm sure I could learn a lot of good stuff from you... I'll be there most weekends for awhile as long as the generation schedule is going well.

The Trout Zone Blog

If PA and Hans get on the same stretch of water those fish will need some serious therapy... Someone call Dr. Phil!