Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First fish on a fly you tied?

Default Re: First fish on a fly you tied?

My first fish on my own fly was on a simple yellow elk hair caddis that was drifting out of a little riffle into a nice emerald green pool on Abrams creek. A beautiful little rainbow about 10" long. Yes, It was quite a good day. 8-)

On Tremont with a thunderhead...you couldn't smack the grin off my face for a week..
    May you find a rise in every puddle... - WATERBORN

The first fish on a fly was with my father on the Tieton River in E. Wash. It was a small brown caddis with a wood duck flank wing, no hackle. I remember picking out of the flybox, because the caddis ( I didn't know what they were at the time. They were just brown fuzzy bugs to me) were so thick that they were in my ears and nose. My casting was poor at best and I flipped the little brown fly into a riffle, where it was quickly snatched up by a small trout. The rest of the evening was the same. That was probably 20 years ago, and I have yet to encounter a caddis hatch of that magnitude again.

Brad

Ya know Im only 16 years old and Ive been ffishing for 2 or 3 years and last winter I started tying, but I cannot for the life of me remember the first fish on a fly I tied.!!! Gimme a second...

Ok I got it- first fly I tied after I took a tying class. I was a size10 Hares Ear Nymph. The first day of spring last year. Really warm, I flipped it into a pocket a caught a little rainbow....couldnt believe it. More couldnt believe the first fish on a fly...thats a big story though.

I still have my Hares Ear nymph, never tied it on again.

MTN_TRT
    LIFE IS GOOD

my first was last year .caught 2lbs largemouth on 2x clouser minnow, olive blackand white.i was on the emory river where it runs into the clinch.what a rush.
    go phish

Got this little guy on a prince I tied last week... My first on a fly I tied!

congrats on the first on your fly....just curious, did you have any luck on that glass bead head green weenie yet......

Abby and I have decided on trying the Au Sable this summer in Grayling MI. I will have to find some fly patterns to tie up for that trip.....

congrats again
    buckeye
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Saving the weenies for summer...

I have been tying flies since christmas,and have been dying to try out my patterns. Well, yesterday i went to a friend of mines house and he has a huge pond with a veriety of fish in it. I wasnt expecting any thing cause it has been so cold. I was using a poper to try to get some blue gill to rise but never saw 1. I turned to a olive BH Woolley Bugger that i tied up. I think it was my very first Bugger. Suprisingly on my very first cast i caught a small blue gill. It wasnt the biggest fish but i was so excited to catch my first fish on a fly i tied. Thanks to the Olive BH Woolley Bugger!!!

A small brown on a #16 BHPT,
    John