Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cookout May 19th, 2007

Default Re: Cookout May 19th, 2007

I tell ya what..Ill come if ijsouth comes and cooks up some creole for us. Ive always lived in the mountains but Ive got that creole soul !!!

MTN_TRT
    LIFE IS GOOD

Too bad this isn't one week later. I'll be up there with a group of friends for a five day fly fishing trip on Memorial Day weekend. Anyway, the main reason for my reply is to provide a crawfish tip:

Here in north Alabama, several fields are flooded for waterfowl hunters on public land (management areas and wildlife refuges). I don't know if they do this in Tennessee. These fields are drained in the spring, usually in April if memory serves. If you hit it right after they drain the fields, crawfish lay thick on the ground. You can pick them up by hand, pretty much all you want. It's an annual tradition for us. Several of us head over there and pick up about 20 lbs of the things and have a crawfish, shrimp, and smoked sausage boil. Also take a rake. If there are any drainage ditches with water still standing, you can rake the bottoms of the ditches to pull out gobs of crawfish. I'm guessing the crawfish grow fat on the flooded vegetation. Anyway, it's a great way to have your own Louisiana crawfish boil right at home with fresh crawdads. Sorry I'll miss the cookout,

hawgdaddy
    "I ain't rich, But Lord I'm free" - Amarillo By Morning, George Strait

I'll be there Possble three of us. Can't wait

I am planning on bringing Abby down for a late mothers day fishing trip....if all goes as planned, we will both be there.....Not sure if we will be camping or staying at my friends cabin, but either way, we can spend lots of time around a camp fire if there is a group hooking up for campfires and lies,,,uh stories......

buckeyetrouter
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

These fields are drained in the spring, usually in April if memory serves. hawgdaddy
    Yep...that's very similar to what happens here, with the "farmed" crawfish. Here, it's idle rice paddies, mostly in Southwest Louisiana. The crawfish gorge themselves on the rice plant stalks, etc. The best ones are still the "wild" ones, from the spillway - they tend to be bigger.

There are literally thousands of varieties of crawfish, and they're found on every continent except Antarctica. They sure are good...their only drawback is that the energy expended to peel them is almost more than what is gained from the meat.

I shouldn't have mentioned them...now, everyone thinks I'm a gourmet chef I cook a few things well, but not that many.

Looking at the timing of this...I'd love to make it, but it's gonna be tough to swing - it's right at the end of the school year for the kids, so that complicates things. There's a chance, but not a great one, that I'll be there.

I am planning on coming to Townsend for my first camping/ flyfishing trip alone.Can anyone suggest a campground? Nothing fancy just a tent and a fire. Will things be crowded on this weekend? Do I need to make reservations? Thanks for your help.
    All first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly-fishermen and John the favorite was a dry-fly fisherman. Norman Maclean

Hey jgduckhunter,

There are several campgrounds from which to choose from and you can reserve on-line now. *If you are wanting to FF the tennessee side I usually camp at Elkmont or Cades Cove both fairly close to Townsend.

Crowded- Most likely yes!!
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

Are you coming to the cookout? Also, Trout Fest is that weekend and will contribute to the number of people out fishing and camping...
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

Yes I am planning on coming to the cookout. I am also wondering what this Trout Fest is . Is this a big deal?
    All first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly-fishermen and John the favorite was a dry-fly fisherman. Norman Maclean

jgduckhunter, Hey you can check out the website for Troutfest *troutfest.org. I haven't been before- I really wanted to go last year, but already had something planned. Sounds like it ought to be a good time. As far as the camping goes I agree with DryFly on Cades Cove or Elkmont, I stay at Elkmont when I camp- there is a lot of good fishing within minutes of the campground. I would definately go ahead and reserve a spot if I was you, they book up quick. Look forward to seein ya there!