Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muskie on a Fly

Default Muskie on a Fly

Here in the upper Caney Fork above Center Hill I can wade with a spinning rod and catch about three muskie per morning. My problem is I can't seem to figure how to get them on a fly. I'm thinking maybe a big Clouser but am open for suggestions.

Ive never personally fished for muskie, but I took a smallmouth trip w/ a guide. We had a 10wt in the boat and I asked him what is was for. He said that sometimes we can get the muskie started if we get alot of fish on. I asked him if I could see the flies for em, he proceeded to pull out a box and opened it up. It looked like it was full of dead chickens. There were a few clousers in there and a bunch of other mean looking flies. I know that muskie can key on baby ducks and rodents (if youre looking for topwater). Just find something big w/ alot of action.

Default Musky

JG,
    I have not done this either, have seen them in the Big SouthFork (tigers) and read and heard a little about them in Melton Hill. Just bought a 10 wt for this purpose, still working on a reel. Anyway you must know more than you realize if you are catching 3 a day on spinning gear, what are you using there? Sorry to be fishing for information, when you are asking. There is a book out called "Pike on a Fly" by Barry Reynolds, he talks about big bunny leaches and such, also big synthetics which don't get so saturated and heavy to cast. I have read it once, need to read it once more but have loaned it to someone. If you want to borrow it, I will loan it to you for a morning on the upper Caney?!
    Best,
    John

Default Musky,

JG,
    One more thing, there is a meeting of a Musky Club at Gander Mountain in Knoxville on the 22nd at 7:00 pm (not certain of the time, but the date is correct). I know a few in Knoxville are talking about it.
    Best,
    John

When I am wading I use a medium action baitcaster with your choice of jerk bait as long as it looks like a shad. I prefer X-RAPS the feathers on the trailing hook seem to help. Don't get me wrong when I say three a day. That's just when I am on the upper end where the water is wadable. If you go further down where a boat is nessacary I do good to see 1 a week. The bigger the water the bigger the fish though, I guess everything has a trade-off. I have caght a 36 incher wading though. The best fish from my boat was 61 but I didin't catch it.

Default Muskie Flies

To Miss Nancy - she hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Thumbs up muskie

I saw a episode of fly fishing america a couple of weeks ago and they were fishing for muskie . their flies were large and most were orange & black that i saw.
    go phish

Wow, 3 a day. That is sweet. I've fished upstream from where you speak a few times, while back packing through Scott's Gulf. That area is one of my favorite places in the state. I wish it would remain secret.

I canoed with a friend of mind on the Collins. He landed one and hooked one that day. He was just using a big black woolly bugger.

Hope that helps

Default Muskie!

I need to get the gazzeteer out and figure out approximately where you guys are talking about. Sounds exciting, promise if I manage to get a muskie it will be returned to the river.
    Best,
    John

aw heck, there isn't anything to it, my first trip out, i caught one, all ya gotta do is have a fly in the water.
    Naturally, after having said this & caught one on my first attempt, i'll never catch another one.

Grumpy