Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hogs???

I saw one last fall while I was fishing the Tellico. It was running for it's life, though, and really didn't pay much attention to me.

Wink Finally, something I know about!!!

We've tied some killer smallmouth jigs with wild hog hair. They seem to outfish regular jigs 2 to 1. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect its the oil still in the hair, since it hasn't been dyed, colored, or preserved in any way (fresh out of the freezer). Puts a new meaning to the words jig and pig.

The best thing is to treat them like bears. Let them know you're there. Don't get between a sow and her babies. And definately don't catch any of their babies. I have a friend that did that once, he has the scars and hospital bills to prove it.

A sow can have up to 2 litters a year with 2-8 piglets in each litter. Their population in the surrounding area is rapidly growing, and they are very destructive.

Byron, If you need someone to get rid of your pig problem, just let me know. The guys putting together the LRO get together certainly wouldn't need Buddies to cater it.

Buzz

Smile Pig Jigs and Boar-B-Que

Sounds like an out-right celebration :-)
    http://www.troutanon.com rrainshaker at comcast dot netrainshaker at comcast dot net

Default Hate Hogs

I grew up on a farm. We had hogs. I hated them. I still do. Even domestic hogs go crazy when they think their young are in danger or when they smell blood. We had a couple of sows get a calf, that had a small cut (blood), down once, and I thought they were going to kill her before I beat them off. Their noses are very tender, but don't under estimate their speed or quickness. Domestic hogs do like to get in water because it is their way of cooling off as they do not sweat. I'm sure wild hogs do the same. I'm also sure wild hogs try to avoid human contact. I would try to avoid them as well unless I was looking for some ham or bacon.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

I was grouse hunting this year in Tellico and had one come running down the hill at me and the dog. i was mesmerized and just stood there watching it running down the hill. That thing was fast too!!! The dog finally barked when the hog was about 30 feet away and then i started hollaring at it and it turned and ran off past us. It was so close that we could here it breathing and snorting and could see it's tusks. I had a lot of orange on but i don't think it ever saw us until we started moving and yelling. i bet they are color blind and probably do have poor eyesite.

By the way, that was the meanest, hairiest, ugliest beast i've ever seen.

Russ, You haven't meet my ex-wife. She would give that hog a run for its money

Haha that's great! Somewhat mean, but definitely funny!

Craig