Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallest rod?

Smile Smallest rod?

I've been fly fishing for a few years now and I've been looking at people's fly rods. I have a five foot-three weight fly rod and I haven't seen anyone with a shorter rod. This is my favorite rod and I fish it all the time. I was wondering what everyone elses smallest rod was. Just curious.

Don't know if this counts but I use to fish Kanati Fork before they closed it and an 8 ft rod was way too big so I would break it down and just use the upper half and effectively make it a 4 ' 4 wt ...
    May you find a rise in every puddle... - WATERBORN

Default shortest length rod

You must be a very good caster. I tried a 6 ft rod once in the grass at a fly shop. Had a hard time keeping enough line in the air for cast over 35ft., especially when kneeling. It would have been fine for small brookie streams with dries and short cast but decided against buying it.
    The shortest rod I currently have is 7ft 6" and is used primarily as a backup pack rod for hike in trips. All my other rods are 8-9ft.
    I've also broken down the longer rods and fished the upper section with the reel and butt section tucked in the back of my wading belt.

I have a 6ft 4wt for the small streams. It works great when you need a shorter cast.

............... 7 ft

Converted an old glass rod for my son when he was three....cut an old 8.5 foot garcia condolon down to a four footer.....it would actually cast ok for short distances and several Smoky bows were brought to hand by my son ...then he got older and "stole" my 6.5' one ounce from me....

7 ft - 4wt.......and I really love it

Smile

I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of all my rods and just hand casting!
    Chris McCarthy

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    - Henry David Thoreau

Default Rod Length

8-0. Length, lightest is a 3 wt. If too long I bow and arrow cast......poorly.
    Best,
    John

Default Casting w/no rod

Quote Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of all my rods and just hand casting!
    Isn't that something Lefty does as a demonstration?

sb
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau